Pressure cooking an Instant Pot Pot Roast is a great way to create a hearty comfort food meal that would normally take several hours in about an hour total (including natural release of pressure). All you need to is a beef roast, potatoes, carrots, onions, broth, and seasonings to make your pot roast in the instant pot! With this recipe, you can enjoy this Sunday dinner staple any night.
Instant Pot Pot Roast
Prior to the widespread availability of the Instant Pot electric pressure cooker, you really couldn’t purchase a roast on the way home from work and serve it to your family that evening. It was a meal you had to plan ahead. Now you can make fork tender beef pot roast in a pressure cooker with carrots potatoes in a matter of about 60 minutes. It works just as well as a crock pot, but the cooking time is so much less.
Choosing a Roast for the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Just as with making any pot roast tougher cheap cuts of beef are the best choices for making pot roast in the Instant Pot. Pressure cooking breaks down the tough membranes just as long slow cooking does. Chuck roast is of course a favorite cut for this. Rump roast and bottom round are also great in an electric pressure cooker and even a brisket will work nicely.
Making Instant Pot Pot Roast
Making an Instant Pot Roast is so quick and easy! Time to prep the roast is about 5 mins to cut potatoes and onion. Then just a couple minutes put it all into the electric pressure cooker. 30 mins cook time and 20 minutes for natural pressure release (which also doubles as resting time). All that remains then is whipping up the simple gravy.
Here is a visual walk through of making the Instant Pot Pot Roast. Full printable recipe below.
Ingredients for Pot Roast in the Instant Pot
Here are all the ingredients you need to make a pressure cooker pot roast dinner (pictured above).
- chuck, bottom round or rump roast
- beef broth
- onion, baby carrots and potatoes
Add the seasonings. Simply sprinkle them over the top. The flavor will infuse into everything while pressure cooking. Then close the instant pot and pressure release valve. The instant pot should be set to manual, high pressure for a cook time of 30 minutes.
Remove the roast and and vegetables. Make the pot roast gravy right in the pressure cooker using the saute function, by whisking in cornstarch and seasoning with salt and pepper.
Dinner is ready!
More Instant Pot Recipes!
- Instant Pot Clam Chowder
- Keto Pulled Pork – Instant Pot Balsamic Pulled Pork Recipe
- Keto BBQ Chicken Instant Pot Recipe
- Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice
- Instant Pot Bone Broth
- Tuscan Chicken Instant Pot
- 2 1/2 lbs beef chuck roast rump roast or bottom round are also good choices
- 4 potatoes peeled and cut into 1" pieces
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 cup baby carrots , or coarsely chopped and peeled large carrots
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water
- Place roast in the bottom of the instant pot. Pour broth and water on top of meat. Add potatoes, carrots and onion on top of meat. Sprinkle spices on top of vegetables.
- Close instant pot and pressure release valve. Set instant pot to manual, high pressure for 30 minutes. Let pressure naturally release for 20 minutes. Release remaining pressure and open pot. Remove roast and potatoes.
- To make gravy: turn pot to saute and stir in cornstarch and water mixture. Mix well until boiling and sauce begins to thicken and turn into gravy. Turn off instant pot. Season gravy with salt and pepper. This makes a lot of gravy so additional cornstarch may be necessary depending on the thickness of gravy you like.