This Keto BBQ Chicken is made in the Instant Pot, then quickly broiled in the oven. No more lengthy cooking times for BBQ chicken drumsticks and this low carb version is keto diet friendly!
These chicken drumsticks in keto friendly barbecue sauce are easy with the help of the Instant Pot. Serve with cauliflower mash, broccoli rabe, a salad or asparagus for a great low carb dinner.
Keto Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
Making chicken drumsticks in the electric pressure cooker is a quick and easy method. This recipe also includes a quick keto BBQ sauce to enhance the flavor of the chicken. Everything is done right in the Instant Pot, except the final 5 minute broil. You can have tender BBQ chicken legs that fit in your low carb diet even on a weeknight now!
How to Make the Keto BBQ Sauce
This low carb BBQ sauce is sweetened with your choice of monkfruit or erythritrol to keep carbs down. Rather than starting with ketchup as some quick sauces do, this one starts with puree, which has no added sugar.
The sauce is mixed then simply added to the Instant Pot with the chicken legs.
BBQ Chicken in Instant Pot
The legs, thighs or drumsticks are cooked on manual high pressure for 10 minutes.
Plan on 15 minutes for the pot to come to pressure and another 10 minutes for the natural pressure release to complete.
Broiling the Chicken Legs
As a finishing touch the chicken is basted with more barbecue sauce and broiled for 5 minutes.
Serve alone as a keto game day snack or make it a meal with a side of cauliflower rice, a salad or some Broccoli Rabe.
Using Other Chicken Cuts
Larger cuts of chicken may require a couple more minutes on the cooking cycle. The time will only vary a small amount though. Bone in chicken breasts and wings will be about the same amount of time, but large thighs take closer to 10 minutes.
Popular Keto Recipes
- Keto Pork Chops in Parmesan Cream Sauce
- Keto BBQ Bacon Wrapped Chicken Wings
- Yum Yum Sauce Recipe + Keto Version!
- Keto Churros
Not only are these BBQ chicken drumsticks low carb keto-friendly, they are quick and easy thanks to the Instant Pot
- 4 pounds chicken legs
- 1 cup tomato puree
- ½ cup yellow onion minced
- 1 tablespoon Monk Fruit or erythritol
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch red pepper flakes optional
- Add 1 cups of water to the inner pot of the Instant Pot.
- Place chicken in a steamer basket over the water, or on the trivet.
- Mix ingredients for bbq sauce in a bowl, and then pour over chicken to coat the chicken legs.
- Close lid and set for a manual high-pressure cooking time of 10 minutes. Allow for a natural pressure release for an additional 10 minutes when the cooking time has finished.
- Vent any remaining pressure.
- Transfer chicken legs to a baking sheet and cover with additional sauce, if desired.
- Set broiler to hi.
- Broil on high for 5 minutes to finish the chicken legs off. This is an optional step.