This Lemon Balm and Summer Veggie Tabouli recipe is one great way to use up some of that Lemon Balm you have taking over your garden. Don't curse it's abundance. Eat it!
Lemon balm is a vastly under used herb in my opinion, which is a shame since many have this prolific plant in their gardens. The herb has a pleasant lemony scent, and to me it tastes like an extremely mild version of oregano (like 10x milder). Lemon Balm is also said to have a natural calming effect on humans, which in our high anxiety society is certainly a beneficial attribute. I just had a small cup of this tabouli and must say I feel rather pleasantly relaxed.
I've shared Lemon Balm recipes a few times in the past, and I'm sure it will make an appearance again here before the summer ends. I also have a lot of easy vegetarian and bulgur recipes too, if that is what you are looking for today.
Lemon Balm and Summer Veggie Tabouli Salad Recipe
- ½ cup lemon balm finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups tomato chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed/minced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 yellow pepper diced
- ¼ cup sweet onion fine diced
- ¾ tsp Kosher or Sea salt
- 3 tbs lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 2 tbs olive oil
- ½ cup wheat bulgur
- Mix the ingredients together, roughly in order of appearance. Adding the bulgur last.
- Cover and refrigerate a minimum of 4 hours, longer is better, but the bulgur will be tender enough to eat at that point.