Today, I have a Double Chocolate Shortbread Cookies recipe for you. They are reportedly, Santa’s favorite cookie… so much better than standard chocolate chip cookies!
Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
The tender simplicity of shortbread cookies make them a favorite of mine. They are not overly sweet and take on a variety of flavors with ease. This is my version of chocolate shortbread cookies. The cookie dough is flavored with cocoa powder and chocolate chips kick the chocolately goodness up a notch.
Double Chocolate Shortbread Cookies Recipe: Perfect for Busy Bakers
When preparing for baking many cookies in one day, this chocolate shortbread cookies recipe is a great choice. The dough can be made ahead of time and left in the refrigerator until you are ready to slice and bake. I baked mine almost a week after making the dough. Shortbread cookies also maintain their size and shape, requiring minimal space between the cookies on the baking sheet.
Make your holiday baking so much easier with some silicone sheet pan liners.
I must say, these Chocolate Shortbread Cookies with chocolate chips were a big hit with my daughter. She gobbled up the cookies and milk in this picture as soon as she got home from school.
I hope you enjoy the recipe.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbs milk
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup flour all-purpose is fine
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Cream together the softened butter and sugar.
- In a small separate bowl mix salt with the milk and vanilla extract to dissolve. then add to the creamed butter.
- In another bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder and flour, then mix in with the wetter ingredients bowl. Once the dough is well mixed, toss in the chocolate chips.
- Knead the dough lightly, enough to evenly distribute the chocolate chips. Split the cookie dough in half and roll into two logs about 2 inches thick. Wrap each log in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours to firm up.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut each cookie dough log into slices about 3/8"-1/2" thick. Arrange on parchment. These shortbread cookies will not expand much at all, but leave a little space between them.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes, then remove to rack to cool completely.