This Oatmeal Banana Nut Bread is a gluten-free recipe, but is made entirely with common ingredients found in most kitchens. So many gluten-free dessert recipes have a daunting list of ingredients that are often expensive and difficult to find. With the holidays coming up, I thought an easy gluten-free dessert that used standard pantry items would be helpful to many readers.
I often use ground oatmeal in my baked goods, but usually in conjunction with another flour. This time, as I was about to add some brown rice flour, I thought about how few of my readers have this on-hand, and how it didn’t really seem to improve most of the baked goods I have used it in. I’d been curious about how the results of going with straight oat flour would be, and I was about to find out.
The result was incredibly moist and damn delicious! Forget the gluten-free flour, and just grind old fashioned oats in your food processor.
Oatmeal Banana Nut Bread ~ Easy Gluten Free Recipe
- 2 cups old fashioned oats* (1 2/3 cups oat flour)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas mashed, approx. 3/4 cup
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 2 tbs butter melted
- 2 tbs. canola or olive oil
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tbs. honey
- 3/4 to 1 cup chopped walnuts I like it with a cup, but that is probably a little too nutty for many people
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pulse the oatmeal in food processor until consistency of flour.
- Add the baking soda, salt and cinnamon, and pulse to mix.
- Beat eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add vanilla, bananas, apple sauce, buttermilk, butter, oil, brown sugar and honey. Mix well.
- Add the oat flour mixture to the bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Fold in the nuts, until evenly distributed.
- Coat loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray, and pour batter in.
- Bake approximately 1 hour. Outside will start to brown up, but it will stay moist.