Easy banana oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips recipe that children will go crazy for… my daughter did. The bonus, this great recipe makes a healthier cookie than most. While these banana cookies are still a treat they aren’t as sugar and fat heavy as most chocolate chip cookies. The cookies were good warm, but I liked them best chilled a little. My daughter loved these soft and chewy cookies!
Banana Oatmeal Cookies – The Start
Lil’ Foodie got at the bananas again. I don’t get why she enjoys peeling a whole bunch so much, and I have told her not to do so, but she just doesn’t seem to be able to stop herself once she gets rolling. I’ve taken to splitting the bunches and stashing some away, but I forgot 3 on the counter a couple days ago and caught her in the middle of peeling the second one. Not thinking, I quickly tossed the lone survivor on the top shelf of the fridge. Yup, it was a funky brownish shade the next morning & my daughter then wanted no part of it. Time to get baking.
Banana Cookies , Healthier Ingredients
Making healthy choices in dessert ingredients helps us stay on track when we indulge in an occasional treat. This is something I kept in mind when creating these banana oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.
I liked the results of using a reduced quality of butter in my recent Brown Butter Mocha Chip Cookies an idea I got from this Cooking Light cookie recipe makeover, so I used the technique here as well.
Not only are bananas a great source of potassium, they help make the use of less butter possible. Mashed banana is a great way to keep a cookie moist.
Old fashioned oats play a big part in these banana oatmeal cookies as well. The oats add soluble fiber and retain the moisture from the bananas and scant butter, so the cookies don’t get hard. The result is a delicious healthier cookie.
I prefer using dark chocolate chips in my baking over typical semi-sweet chips. The higher percent of cocoa brings more of the wonderful beneficial properties of chocolate to the cookies.
Other Recipes to Use Up Ripe Bananas
While we loved these soft banana cookies, if you are not in the mood for cookies? Try my banana chocolate chip muffins or my Chocolate Chip Banana Bread. Both are scrumptious and a great way to use up ripe bananas.
Banana Oatmeal Cookies Recipe (with Chocolate Chips)
- 6 tbs butter
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pure cane sugar
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips or semi-sweet
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Gently brown butter in small pan, taking care not to burn it. Take off burner and set aside as soon as it is done.
- Mash banana in medium mixing bowl, then add vanilla, sugars & browned butter. Mix well.
- Add flours and baking powder, mix well.
- Add the oats, stir until thoroughly mixed, then stir in chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Drop the cookie batter by the spoonful, onto parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes, then cool on racks before serving.