Yes, I am about to try and get you to eat something weird again.
This Sweet Potato Salad (slaw) was created with inspiration from my daughter. She has a particular love of eating raw sweet potato. At first, I found the thought of eating raw sweet potato rather repulsive, imagining it to be super starchy like regular potatoes. Her persistence and determination to eat the potatoes raw rather than cooked, made me curious, and I cut off a slice for myself. I quickly saw who was the fool, and it wasn’t the 4 ft. family member.
Raw sweet potato does have a little starchiness, but it is nothing compared to their tuberous cousins. They are mildly sweet with a bit of a nutty flavor. My first thought of what to compare them too would be Jerusalem artichokes (Sunchokes). They are somewhat similar in taste, but far less expensive.
When creating this recipe for Sweet Potato salad, I wanted to compliment the sweetness of the vegetable with other sweet elements, but also wanted tangy flavors to cut the starch. Granny Smith apples and dried cranberries seemed perfect compliments, and walnuts reinforced the nutty taste found in the sweet potatoes. The Ginger-Lime dressing sweetened with natural maple syrup ties it all together.
I had the bowl pictured above for lunch today, and found it to be more satisfying than a typical garden salad. Since it is a slaw, I will more likely serve it as a side dish with sandwiches or grilled meats in the future. The recipe is both vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 lb. sweet potato raw peeled
- 3 Granny Smith apples peeled and cored
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 juice of lime about 1/2 cup
- 2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 3 tbs. maple syrup
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Cut the sweet potatoes and apples into julienne strips, by cutting thin planks, then slicing into matchsticks.
- Put the matchsticks into a large shallow bowl. Add the cranberries and walnuts.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lime, ginger, salt, maple syrup and oil.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently with your hands, until everything is evenly distributed.
- Serve room temperature or chilled.