This Orange-Walnut Oatmeal Mini Muffin recipe is a marriage of the Orange Cake my grandmother had in her handwritten cookbook (with notes that it was my grandfather’s favorite), and an Oatmeal Muffin Recipe I found in a vintage McCall’s cookbook. The “zippy” flavor of the orange zest used in this recipe, along with the richness of the plenitude of walnuts, seemed perfect for mini-muffins. Enjoy!
Orange Walnut Oatmeal Muffin Recipe
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup orange juice plus approx. a tbs. for glaze
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp group cinnamon
- zest of a large orange
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup oil canola or vegetable
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tbs. baking powder
- 1 cup walnuts chopped , make sure pieces are small
- 1/2 cup confectionery sugar for glaze
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and flour the mini-muffin pan.
- Put oats, buttermilk, orange juice, salt, vanilla & cinnamon in large mixing bowl, stir and set aside, while doing other prep work, so oatmeal can absorb some of the liquid.
- Zest the entire orange, make sure the pieces are not too long, chop if necessary. Add to oatmeal mixture.
- Add egg, sugar, and oil to mixture and beat well.
- Mix the flour and baking powder in separate bowl, them add to oatmeal mixture.
- Add the chopped walnuts last. Stir well to make sure they are evenly distributed.
- Scoop up 1 tbs. of mixture, and place in each muffin tin.
- Bake 14-16 minutes, until pick pulls clean from center, and edges are starting to show a little color.
- Once cooled. Mix the confectionery sugar, and about a tbs of orange juice ( a little more will likely be needed). Brush over the muffins.