Fall and Halloween will be here before we know it so it is my goal to have you all prepared. This Oreo Caramel Apples recipe seemed a good place to start. The easy to make caramel adheres the crushed Oreo cookies to the apples with gooey deliciousness. Of course, the dark color of the Oreos is perfect for this time of year. A flexible treat perfect for any fall day or a Halloween Party Treat.
Oreo Caramel Apples
- Pink Lady Apple medium sized (see apple preparation notes)
- 1 stick butter or margarine
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 package Oreo cookies
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Pour the chopped pecans in a bowl placing it next to the stove top.
- Using a double boiler, pour water into the bottom half just slightly lower than when the top pot sits in the bottom half. bring water to a boil.
- Using a double boiler, put the margarine, brown sugar, corn syrup and condensed milk int the top pot bringing the heat to a med-high. Raise the temp to a boil, constantly stirring then reduce heat to med. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until a candy thermometer reads 248 degrees or when a teaspoon of the caramel is dropped into a glass of cold water it forms a firm ball.
- When this happens remove the pot from the heat stirring in the vanilla.
- Dip each apple into the caramel coating the apple and part of the wooden stick.
- Separate the Oreo cookies and remove the stuffing in the middle. Put the stuffing in a bowl or in the trash.
- -Put the Oreo cookie pieces into a zip lock bag using a rolling pin crush the cookie pieces into a fine crumb.
- -While the caramel apple is still hot sprinkle the finely crushed Oreo's onto the apple or if you prefer roll the hot caramel apple into a plate filled with the crushed Oreo's.