I have become a zucchini noodle addict over the past few months, and zucchini pizzaiola is one of my very favorite ways to make with them. It is such an easy recipe, and doesn’t even require boiling water. I typically use fresh mid-sized green zucchini, but got my hands on some lovely organic yellow ones this week. I think the results look more “noodley”, don’t you?
Sometimes I add cheese to my Zucchini Pizzaiola, and sometimes I don’t. It mostly depends on what I have on-hand, how hungry I am and if the zucchini noodles (otherwise known as zoodles), are an entree vs a snack or side. Either way, they make for a satisfying low carb dish.
I use one of the tabletop spiralizers to make my zucchini noodles, but started with a small hand twist spiralizer. The hand twist ones can be widely found at reasonable cost.Print
Yellow Zucchini Pizzaiola with Fresh Mozzarella
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- Total Time: 13 minutes
- Yield: 1
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 large yellow zucchini squash
- 1/4 cup organic pizza sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic chili sauce
- 2 slices of fresh mozzarella cheese, chopped into bite sized pieces
- Twist the zucchini through a spiralizer to create your noodles.
- Put the zucchini noodles in a skillet over medium high heat. Top with pizza sauce and chili sauce mix in pan. (it may not seem like enough sauce, but liquid will come out of the zucchini squash)
- As soon as the sauce starts bubbling and squash starts to wilt reduce heat to low-med and allow to simmer until squash is tender but not mushy (it will only take a few minutes).
- Add the mozzarella, and gently toss. Once the cheese has started to melt, shut off burner, and pour the noodles into bowl to serve.