This easy Caramel Apple Hand Pie Recipe can be prepared in just 20 minutes, from start to finish. The mini apple pies are perfect for an after dinner dessert, but pack in lunches or picnics just as easily. Enjoy one with a cup of coffee or tea anytime for a burst of fall festivity.
Of course, if you are already looking at this and thinking you don't want to mess with crust, try my Caramel Apple Dump Cake.
How to Make Caramel Apple Hand Pies
Here is a quick visual walk through of the process of preparing this easy fall dessert. Full recipe below.
What you need:
- Granny Smith apple ( or other decent pie apple)
- lemon juice
- sea salt
- caramel sauce
- refrigerated pie crust
Position each apple slice to one side of the pie dough, then spoon on caramel.
Fold over the crusts, then crimp edges and baste with beaten egg wash. Sprinkle with sugar crystals on top.
If you want to double up on your caramel apple fix, serve these little pies ala mode with Caramel Apple No Churn Ice Cream or triple it up with Apple Pie Filling and some slow cooker caramel sauce on top.
Salted Caramel Apple Hand Pie Variation
Salted caramel is quite popular these days and it is simple to make this apple hand pie include the food trend. To do this make the pies as usual, but rather than adding sugar crystals to the top drizzle on some caramel sauce and sprinkle with just a little sea salt.
Easy Caramel Apple Hand Pies
- 1 large apple Granny Smith or Gala preferred
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon*
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg*
- generous pinch of allspice* approx. 1/16th teaspoon
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup caramel sauce
- 1 refrigerated pie crust or prepared homemade pie dough
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Sugar crystals to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Peel and core apple. Then cut into 8 wedges.
- Toss the apple slices in lemon juice to coat.
- Add sugar, salt and spices to the apples, and mix until coated.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unroll pie crust on a lightly floured surface, and cut out eight 4" rounds.
- Arrange the dough rounds on the parchment. and put an apple slice on each slightly to one side. Top apple with a teaspoon of caramel sauce.
- Fold over the dough and crimp edges to seal.
- Brush with beaten egg wash and sprinkle sugar crystals on top.
- Brush the tops of each mini-pie with egg and sprinkle with sugar if desired.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly.
- Optional: Drizzle extra caramel sauce on top of each hand pie before serving.