Pan fried sweet potatoes are a great side dish for any meal from breakfast to dinner.
Pan-fried sweet potatoes make for quick, easy and flavorful snack or side dish. They cook quickly and tend to be popular with kids. The bonus is that sweet potatoes are packed with nutrients, so you don't have to feel so guilty about the frying.
- sweet potatoes
- oil , canola, avocado, vegetable or classic olive
- Mrs. Dash table blend
- Kosher salt
- brown sugar
- cayenne pepper
- Peel the sweet potatoes and chop them into random shapes or small wedges, about the same size. Point in the cutting is to get narrow or pointy areas of potato to crisp up.
- Place about a ¼" of canola oil in a skillet, put on med-high heat, for frying.
- Once oil is hot, drop in the sweet potatoes, and season with a bit of Kosher salt.
- Stir the potatoes in pan until they begin to brown.
- Add about a ¼ teaspoon of Mrs. dash per sweet potato used.
- Turn down to med. heat, cover and let cook for 2- 3 minutes.
- Once potatoes are softened in thickest areas, drain any extra oil off, and add a pinch or two of cayenne and some brown sugar ( a teaspoon per potato should be about right).
- Fry the sweet potatoes for another minute stirring frequently. The sugar should just start to re-crystallize.
- Serve the fried sweet potatoes warm. No sauce is necessary, but sour cream or a mustard sauce would work well.