How to make Homemade Dog Treats…
Homemade dog treats are quite easy to make, and your dog will probably like biscuits you make at home better. Mine does. Try out this easy peanut butter dog biscuit recipe yourself & let your dog do a treat taste test. I happened to have a dog bone shaped cookie cutter on hand, but any shape will do. I’ve made heart shaped ones a lot, they are smaller, so the harden a bit quicker in the oven. I don’t make homemade dog treats all the time, but they are certainly loved by my pooch when I do. Keep in mind the size of your dog, when making dog biscuits. We have a German Shepherd, a toy breed would surely do better with a smaller treat.
Homemade dog treats are a perfect gift for any canine lover. Make this peanut butter dog biscuit recipe for a friend when they adopt a new pooch, or drop some off for their dog’s birthday. They will surely appreciate such a thoughtful gift.
- 2 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1/3 c. natural peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- pinch of kosher salt
- Mix baking soda and salt into the flour.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix with dough hook on med speed.
- When dough can be formed into a ball remove.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface (about a 1/4" thick).
- Cut out dog biscuits with cookie cutters or simply cut dough into treat sized squares, with pastry wheel or pizza cutter.
- Place the treats directly on baking sheet.
- Prick each dog biscuit with a fork.
- Bake at 300 degrees, for 45 minutes to an hour. 45 minutes will result in a softer "crunch" (good for older dogs).
- Allow to cool on wire rack.
- Store your homemade dog treats in airtight container or ziploc bag.