Breakfast Burritos recipe so you can make them at home! They are the perfect make ahead grab and go breakfast for busy mornings and kids love them. Each breakfast burrito is filled with scrambled eggs and your choice of meat or sauteed vegetables. While the example burrito shared here has crumbled breakfast sausage, peppers and onions the options are nearly endless.
The sausage egg and cheese breakfast burrito recipe is great for meal prep. You can make custom burritos for each family member, wrap up and label. Mornings just got so much easier.
These easy breakfast burritos are sure to satisfy any groggy hungry family. Each breakfast burrito is packed with satisfying breakfast favorites rolled up in a flour tortilla... how can you go wrong.
The breakfast recipe is made from simple ingredients that make them extra delicious, and you can swap out some of the goodies inside to suit your family, if you like.
How to make Breakfast Burritos at Home
This super easy breakfast recipe will soon become a staple in your house. Skip the overpriced store bought frozen breakfast burritos and make an extra batch or two of these to freeze yourself. The example is a sausage breakfast burrito. Printable recipe card below.
Recipe makes 4 servings. (Easy to double or triple up)
Ingredients for Sausage Breakfast Burritos:
Here is the list of everything you will need to make the breakfast burrito wraps.
- burrito size flour tortillas
- large eggs
- cooked crumbled sausage cook the sausage over medium heat while breaking up (swap crispy bacon bits or diced ham if you prefer)
- shredded cheddar cheese (a Mexican blend or Monterey Jack cheese are also good choices)
- diced red or green peppers
- diced onion
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preparing the Best Breakfast Burritos
In a large skillet, saute the onions and peppers in oil over medium high heat until cooked through. Slide them into a bowl and set aside.
Add eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Whisk together the eggs until well combined.
Melt Butter in skillet over low-medium heat, add egg mixture then scramble the eggs. Stirring occasionally while pushing inward to make the scrambled eggs fluffy.
While eggs are cooking sprinkle ¼ of the cheese on each tortilla.
When eggs are done, put ¼ of them on each tortilla, and ¼ of the veggies and pork sausage for each. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Fold sides in and roll up burrito. Flip it end side down to hold it in place.
Serve with hot sauce or traditional burrito toppings; salsa, sour cream, avocado (or guacamole), sliced green onions or chopped cilantro. Some golden brown hash browns on the side are always a welcome addition if you have the time.
Between these and my Overnight Breakfast Casserole you really could have homemade breakfast everyday, fuss-free!
Variations on the Sausage Breakfast Burrito Recipe
Let's explore the wide variety of versions we can make of this simple sausage egg burrito recipe.
- As I mentioned, crispy crumbed bacon or diced ham are good in a Mexican egg wrap. Leftover chorizo, fried ground beef, pulled pork or taco meat are also yummy options.
- Add a couple dollops of refried beans inside for extra fiber.
- Make a Vegetarian Breakfast Burrito wrap by using plant based crumbles or adding black beans to the peppers and onions.
- You can make a low carb breakfast burrito, by simply trading a low carb wrap for the flour tortilla. The other ingredients in the recipe are already keto-friendly.
- If you are sensitive to yolks or watching cholesterol intake, this recipe can easily be adapted to an egg white burrito recipe it will simply require an extra 2-3 eggs to make up for the volume. A plant based or turkey sausage swap instead of pork sausage, would also help with reducing cholesterol in the burritos.
Storing the Burritos
When meal prepping these breakfast wraps, make sure to wrap them well with plastic wrap or store in an airtight container.
Fridge - The egg burritos will technically last for up to five days, but I recommend not holding them in refrigerator for more than 3 days. The texture suffers after 2-3 days.
Freezer Burritos - I do recommend you freeze breakfast burritos. Wrap each individual burrito in foil or plastic wrap and put them in freezer bags. As freezer breakfast burritos, they can last 2-3 months.
Food safety reference.
Breakfast Burrito Recipe
- ¼ cup bell peppers diced
- ¼ cup onion diced
- ½ tablespoon oil avocado, vegetable, or olive oil
- 6 Eggs
- 2 tablespoon Milk
- ½ tablespoon Butter
- 4 burrito size flour tortillas
- ½ cup cooked crumbled sausage or bacon or diced ham
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Pour oil in skillet over medium high heat. Saute the onions and peppers until cooked through. Slide them into a bowl and set aside.
- Beat eggs and milk together in a medium bowl.
- Melt Butter in skillet over medium heat, pour in the egg mixture then scramble the eggs.
- While eggs are cooking sprinkle ¼ of the cheese on each tortilla.
- When eggs are done, put ¼ of them on each tortilla, and top with ¼ of the veggies and sausage for each. Season as you like with salt and pepper.
- Fold sides in and roll up burrito. Flip it end side down to hold it in place. Serve
More Fun Recipes!