There are those nights when you have a bit too much going on to focus on meal prep, but need a dinner that looks like you put in a little extra effort. This Quick & Easy Mashed Potato Topped Chicken Casserole will do the trick. Jarred gravy, canned spinach & instant mashed potatoes are the cheats here, that speed the process up and cut down on prep work & mess. It makes an excellent healthier alternative to traditional Shepherd’s Pie. Fresh chicken, mushrooms & onions give it the cooked from scratch feel.
Piping the potatoes takes far less time than you would think, and it makes the dish look special.
Not a fan of instant mashed? Make a batch of Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes to use as the topping.
Quick & Easy Mashed Potato Topped Chicken Casserole
- 1- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast
- 4 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 sweet onion diced
- pinch of dried thyme
- tbs. butter or margarine
- jar of chicken gravy
- can of spinach
- box of instant mashed potatoes both pouches prepared as directed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place shallow stove-top safe casserole dish over med-high heat, and melt the butter.
- Saute onions until nearly done, then add chicken.
- Once outside of chicken is cooked, add mushrooms, saute for a minute.
- Add can of drained spinach & jar of gravy.
- Stir and simmer while preparing instant mashed. (do them in microwave, and don’t make them too hot)
- When potatoes are cooled a little, pack them in piping bag with large rosette tip.
- Pipe them on top of the chicken sauté.
- Bake until top edges of potatoes are golden brown.