This Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes are an easy side dish. The recipe makes a nice big batch of red skin mashed potatoes (Yukon Gold are also excellent for this). This is a perfect mashed potato side dish for family dinners or holidays such as Thanksgiving.
Slow cooker mashed potatoes will soon become your go-to way to make potatoes, whether for a special occasion or a weeknight dinner.
Easy Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes
Making mashed potatoes in the crock pot is no fuss. This recipe also has the added benefit of keeping one more precious stove burner open while holiday cooking.
Making Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes
Mashed Potatoes in a slow cooker are super easy to make. Here is a quick visual walk through. Full recipe below.
Washed potatoes, broth, butter, and seasonings are added to the crockpot.
Cook the potatoes for 4 hours on high.
Chop them up in the crockpot, then cook for an additional hour.
Add the milk and remaining butter.
Use a potato masher, mash the potatoes right in the pot. Mix the potatoes until your desired consistency, from chunky to whipped.
If you are cooking for the holidays and want to save even more stove top and oven space make my Crock Pot Corn Casserole too!
Should you peel potatoes for mashed potatoes?
This is a personal preference. My family and I love the bits of potato skins in the mashed potatoes. If you want it to be creamier, then peel the potatoes before putting them in the slow cooker.
Keeping mashed potatoes warm in crock pot
Mashed potatoes are easy to keep warm once they are already in the slow cooker. Simply set the crockpot to the warm setting.
What other potatoes can I use for slow cooker mashed potatoes?
Yukon gold are great as mashed. Russet potato will also work. If you are feeling adventurous, try making mashed sweet potatoes.
More Slow Cooker Recipes
Slow cooker recipes save you so much time in the kitchen. Here are some more of my favorites.
- Crockpot Spaghetti Sauce: An Easy Crock Pot Meat Sauce Recipe
- Crock Pot Tuna Casserole - Dinner has Never Been So Easy!
- Slow Cooker Meatloaf Recipe with Potatoes and Carrots
Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Slow Cooker
- 5 lbs small red skinned potatoes Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes will also work
- 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- ½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick, divided into ¼ stick and ¾ stick) If you use salted butter, just adjust sodium down when adding salt later.
- ½ teaspoon salt*
- 1 teaspoon pepper*
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or onion powder
- ½ cup whole milk substitute light cream, heavy cream, even sour cream or cream cheese if you prefer
- Wash potatoes, leaving skin on.
- Toss everything but milk and ¾ stick of butter in a crockpot.
- Cook on high for 5 hours.
- At around the 4 hour mark, while still in the slow cooker, take a knife and cut potatoes into chunks (while still in the slow cooker.) Then cook the remaining hour.
- Add milk and ¾ stick of butter. Mash until desired consistency. The water gets mashed right in, no need to drain.
- Lower slow cooker temp to warm.