What could be more fun than S'mores cupcakes! Not much I say. This S'mores cupcake recipe is easy to make despite having quite a few steps. There is a full visual walk through in the directions.
These S'mores cupcakes are a great twist on the classic chocolate, graham cracker and marshmallow treat.
The basic recipe creates a graham cracker crust topped with rich chocolate cake and marshmallow frosting. The cupcakes can then be dressed up with squares or shavings of chocolate, graham crackers or crumbs and of course a nice toasted marshmallow on top! What a festive look.
S'mores Cupcake Recipe Ingredients
Here is all you need to make the basic S'mores cupcake recipe (picture does not include garnishes or items to prepare cake mix as directed)
S'Mores Cupcakes Recipe
Graham Cracker Base
- 12 Full Sheets of Graham Crackers (about 1 ½ cups crumbed)
- ⅓ cup Butter
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 box Chocolate Cake mix + box ingredients
S'mores Marshmallow Frosting
- 1 ½ cup softened Butter
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 ¾ cups Powdered Sugar
- 7 oz Marshmallow Creme topping/Fluff
Garnish for S'mores Cupcakes **optional**
- graham crackers or graham crumbs
Graham Cracker Bottoms
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- Pulse graham crackers in food processor to make crumbs.
- Melt the butter for crust.
- Add melted butter and sugar and pulse to combine.
- Place cupcake liners in a muffin tin. Divide the graham crumb mixture in bottom of each liner equally. Gently press down on each to create a flat crust.
- Bake 7-10 minutes. Then set aside the graham crusts crusts to cool.
S'mores Chocolate Cupcake Center
- Prepare the chocolate cake batter according to the directions on the box.
- Fill each liner about ⅔ full and bake 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center pulls out clean. Set aside to allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
Frosting for S'mores Cupcakes
- Cream the butter and vanilla together with a mixer until fluffy.
- Gradually add in powdered sugar while mixing.
- Fold in marshmallow creme.
- Transfer to piping bag with a round tip and frost each cupcake with an ample amount.
- Refrigerate the cupcakes until you are ready to serve.
- Optional** When serving, garnish with graham crackers or crumbs, chocolate (chips, squares or shavings) and toasted marshmallows.