These little cauldron cupcakes are perfect for a witch themed Halloween party. The decorating technique is easy. Anyone can do it with the step-by-step directions.
No toil and trouble here.
TIP: These are just decorated with frosting, gel icing and fondant. Tossing on a few Sixlets candies or other ball shaped green candies with add a bit more drama to your cauldron pot!
How to Make Cauldron Cupcakes
Here is a guide to decorating these Halloween cupcakes with step-by-step pictures.
First prepare your favorite chocolate cake box mix or grab the chocolate cupcake recipe from my Friday the 13th cupcakes. Allow the cupcakes to fully cool before decorating.
Mix softened butter and confectioners sugar to make a frosting. Tint it green.
Scoop the green frosting into a piping bag. Swirl frosting over the cupcakes. No need to be fancy about it. It’s just representing stew.
Now pipe black frosting around the edge to create the rim of the cauldron.
Squiggle a little of the green gel icing on top.
Tint some fondant green and roll it into little balls. They don’t need to be all the same size. While not pictured, I encourage you to mix in sphere shaped green candies like Sixlets or small gumballs.
Roll out a skinny log of black Fondant and use toothpicks to stand it up and attach the cauldron handle. Then pop in a pretzel stick as a cauldron stirrer.
More Witch Halloween Treats
If you are planning a witch themed party, be sure to check these out!
- Witch’s Brew Candy Bark
- Witch’s Hat Treats
- Witch’s Broomstick Snacks
- Black Cat Halloween Bark
- Jell-O Witch’s Stew Cauldron
- DIY Surprise Inside Halloween Witch Hats : Edible Treat Boxes
- Chocolate cake mix + all ingredients to make it** Most cake mixes yield 24 cupcakes so half the recipe to bake up one dozen instead!
- 1 stick butter softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp Kelly green gel food coloring
- Black decorating frosting
- Green gel food icing
- 2-3 oz. green fondant
- 3-4 oz. dark grey fondant to achieve this shade, knead white and black fondant together or, color white fondant with black gel food coloring
- 12 pretzel sticks
- Prepare cupcakes according to mix’s directions. Bake in a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool before decorating.
- Remove paper liners on cupcakes.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together butter, confectioners’ sugar and milk. These ingredients will make up the buttercream frosting.
- Once the buttercream starts to form, add Kelly green gel food coloring.
- Beat until ingredients are smooth and form semi-stiff peaks.
- Frost the center of each cupcake with green buttercream.
- Using Wilton tip #12, pipe out a black frosting border around each cupcake.
- Frost the green portion of the cupcake with the green gel food icing, in random squiggles.
- Roll out different sized spheres from the green fondant and place a few per cupcake.
- Insert two toothpicks on either side of each cupcake. These will act as the support of the cauldrons’ handles.
- Roll dark grey fondant into 12 spheres, about 1 inch in size.
- Roll out each sphere into a thick strip, about ½ an inch thick and 4 ½ inches long.
- Insert one end of a grey fondant strip onto one of the toothpicks and then arch it to meet the other toothpick.
- Snap the pretzel sticks in half and insert one into each toothpick.
- Serve and enjoy.