While I stepped away from being a vegetarian many years ago, I still eat a lot of meatless meals. Some of these meals are just as satisfying as those with meat, while others really aren't. This Sweet Potato, Poblano & Black Bean Tacos recipe is, and would satisfy most typical carnivores without issue.
Sweet Potato, Poblano & Black Bean Tacos with Lime & Goat Cheese
One of the tricks to keeping meat eaters happy with vegetarian dishes is to add some of the flavor elements they might expect, and smoked paprika is a handy little trick to have up your sleeve when it comes to this. The smokey flavor of this spice harkens to slow cooking on the BBQ. It definitely helps make meatless meals more appealing to those family members, who begrudgingly partake in your meatless Monday routine.
This recipe can easily be adapted to a vegan diet, by ensuring the tortillas do not contain lard, swapping the butter for a plant based oil & skipping the cheese.
Sweet Potato, Poblano & Black Bean Tacos with Lime & Goat CheesePrint Pin Rate
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 ⅓ - 1 ½ cups chopped sweet potato approx. 1 large
- 1 cup sliced Poblano pepper approx. 2
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 tsp smoked hot paprika mild is fine if you prefer
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- 1 ⅓ - 1 ½ cups canned black beans well drained & rinsed
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice plus lime wedges
- 1 tbs chopped cilantro plus some for garnish
- 8 corn tortillas
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
- hot sauce **optional
- Melt butter in pan over med-high heat. Add sweet potato & Poblano peppers. Saute for two minutes, then add onions. Continue cooking until, the sweet potatoes are cooked through and onions are starting to caramelize.
- Add the paprika, cumin & salt. Stir a couple times to toast spices & add the beans, stir to warm, then take pan off burner, to add lime juice & cilantro, stir and set aside.
- Toast the tortillas under the broiler (or over flame if you have gas stove). The tortillas can burn fast so keep a close eye. Once one side is lightly toasted flip to toast the other.
- Place filling on tortillas, top with a fresh squeeze of lime, a little chopped cilantro & a sprinkle of goat cheese. Splash on a little hot sauce if you like. Serve.