There is nothing like this an Hellmanns potato salad to complete a cookout spread! The easy creamy potato salad is cool, delicious and goes perfectly with BBQ and picnic foods.
This is a sponsored recipe. Hellmann’s mayo and additional incentives were provided to me. All opinions stated are my own.
Having a good easy homemade potato salad recipe on hand is essential in barbeque season. After all, while potato salads are incredibly common, the best potato salad is a side dish everyone at the cookout wants on their plate.
I'm going to show you how to make potato salad with mayonnaise (It's quite easy). I used The Original Potato Salad recipe, from Hellmann's, as a template for my own version of the creamy potato salad recipe. Here is a video I put together to show you how simple it is to make this easy potato salad, that everyone will love (printable recipe below).
In my humble opinion, Hellmann's mayonnaise is an ideal ingredient to ensure a rich creamy potato salad. I have been using the Olive Oil variety of Hellmann's mayonnaise on a regular basis (either that or Hellmann's Light). They have recently made an adjustment in the recipe for the olive oil version. Hellmann's Mayonnaise Dressing with Olive Oil now contains 50% more heart healthy olive oil while still remaining lower in calories than most mayonnaise products (60 calories per serving). I also like that the company uses cage free eggs in the production of their mayonnaise. Since I have been featuring a good number of gluten free recipes here on Mom Foodie, I also would like to point out the Hellmann's mayonnaise is a gluten free product.
Additions to the Basic Recipe
While I love this potato salad just the way it is. You can amp it up a but with one or more of these simple variations.
- Add a tablespoon of sweet pickle relish or dill relish.
- Try the addition of a handful of chopped dill pickles, as I did in my Dill Pickle Pasta Salad recipe.
- Dill pickle juice is a delicious swap for the vinegar in this recipe.
- Swap a portion of the mayo out with sour cream if you are trying to reduce fat in the recipe. Don't substitute any more than half though.
- Chopped hard-cooked eggs add both protein and flavor to the potato salad with mayo. (2 eggs should be about right)
- A tablespoon of Dijon mustard can give the potato salad some zing.
Want to try out the new improved Hellmann's Mayonnaise Dressing with Olive Oil yourself, stop by the Hellmann's website for a money saving coupon.
Make a large bowl of this Hellmann's classic potato salad recipe when you are invited to the cookout. It pairs great with, burgers, steaks and grilled chicken!
Easy Potato Salad Recipe
- 2 -2 ½ pounds potatoes preferably Yukon gold potatoes or red potatoes
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar white vinegar is used here, but apple cider vinegar is fine to use
- 1 ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup Hellmann's Mayonnaise
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup scallions or green onion chopped
- paprika (optional garnish)
- Wash the potatoes and either peel or cut off eyes and dark spots, then cut into bite sized cubes.
- Place potatoes in a large pot of salted cold water. Cover the potatoes with pot lid and set burner to medium-high heat. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium and cook until the potatoes are tender. Drain with a colander and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Pour vinegar into a large bowl. Add sugar and salt. Stir.
- Then whisk mayonnaise and vinegar mixture together.
- Add pepper and scallions, stir, then add cooked potatoes.
- Fold together until the cooled potatoes are evenly coated.
- Allow the creamy potato salad to rest in refrigerator until cold. Sprinkle with paprika to serve if you like.
Alt spelling: hellmann potato salad, classic hellmans potato salad , hellmans mayonnaise potato salad