Zucchini salad is a nice vegetarian entree or side dish. It is inexpensive to make and quite satisfying.
This Zucchini Salad with Chick Pea & Artichoke is what I whipped up for a simple summer dinner tonight. Nope, no in depth recipe planning here, this is fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants gleaning from the garden and pantry style cooking. The fresh zucchini salad makes for a nice light vegetarian or vegan meal, or a great side for some grilled meat or fish.
Zucchini is coming into season here in the North East, and the onslaught of basil is starting, so this recipe should be timely for many. If you have tomatoes readily available, by all means slice some up and toss them in when you add the dressing and basil. They will go great with the other ingredients. As is the recipe is suitable for vegans if the dressing used does not contain dairy products.
I sprinkled Parmesan cheese on mine, and feta would be an excellent addition as well (I just didn’t have any on-hand). The leftovers will be served with grilled chicken tomorrow.
- 1/2 tbs oil
- 2 zucchini squash halved lengthwise, then sliced on the diagonal
- 1/4 of a large sweet onion sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 15 oz chick peas garbanzo beans, rinsed
- 15 oz artichoke quarters drained
- 1/4 cup Italian dressing
- 2 tbs freshly chopped basil
- Put oil in skillet, and place on med-high heat.
- Once hot, add the zucchini, onion & garlic. Saute lightly. The vegetables should be mostly cooked, but still have a bit of tooth to them, not all wilted.
- Shut off & remove from burner. Add the chick peas, and artichokes. Stir to mix in and even out temperature.
- Add the dressing and basil stir to mix evenly.
- Serve warm or cold, as is or with sprinkling of your favorite cheese.
Feel free to swap in yellow summer squash for all or some of the green zucchini squash.