These Vegetarian Southwest Zucchini Boats are relatively easy make, so the recipe is a great choice for a Meatless Monday dinner. They make a nice appetizer or addition to a party buffet as well. Leftovers reheat well, so save a couple to take for lunch the next day.
Making Vegetarian Southwest Zucchini Boats
As I mentioned, this is an easy recipe to prepare. It doesn’t take very long either. (full recipe below)
Preheat oven. Grease baking dish. Halve the zucchini squash, scoop out the centers and baste with oil.
Saute onions and peppers, then add the rest of filling ingredients. Fill the boats, top with cheese, bake, then top with chopped cilantro to serve.
- 4 zucchini squash large
- 15 oz black beans canned, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 bell pepper cored and diced
- ½ onion diced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more for basting
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup cilantro fresh chopped
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. and grease a 9x13” baking dish.
- Slice each zucchini in half, lengthwise. Hollow out the center of each zucchini with a metal spoon.
- Baste the top of the zucchini halves with olive oil, and place each skin side down in the casserole dish.
- Place one tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion & peppers. Sautee for 2-3 minutes. Then, add the rice, corn and beans, followed by the salsa and spices. Mix together well and continue cooking for 5 more minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
- Mix ¼ cup of the fresh cilantro into the filling. Mound filling into the hollowed zucchini halves. Sprinkle each zucchini boat with shredded cheese. Cover the baking dish with foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then remove foil and set the oven to broil. Cook for 5 more minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Rest the zucchini boats for 5 minutes, then sprinkle on the remaining fresh cilantro and serve.