This delicious creamy Berry Croissant Breakfast Casserole recipe features high-quality Light Cream from today's sponsor Hood Cream. The sweet breakfast casserole is easy to prepare and a perfect choice for a celebratory brunch or holiday breakfast!
Fresh seasonal berries, tender flaky croissants and rich cream elevate this croissant breakfast bake from common fare to noteworthy. It can be made same morning or prepared as an overnight breakfast casserole if you prefer.
Sweet Croissant Breakfast Casserole - Great Brunch Idea!
While going out for brunch is nice. It isn't always the best solution. Some elderly family members have a hard time with it. Young kids in a busy restaurant can be stressful. A delicious breakfast casserole like this berries and cream croissant one is the perfect solution and the recipe is simple to prepare. Mix up a batch of Strawberry Mimosa to go with it and brunch is served!
With this breakfast recipe, kids can help. Also, the berry croissant bake not only travels well, but leftovers make a scrumptious dessert when served chilled.
How to Make a Croissant Breakfast Casserole with Berries
This creamy berry croissant bake is easy to prepare. Here I will walk you through the steps, or simply hop down to the printable recipe card if you prefer.
The recipe makes 6 breakfast servings or up to 12 dessert servings.
Prep Time: 10 mins Baking Time: 1 hour 20 mins
Here is everything you will need to prepare the croissant bake:
- 4 full sized croissants (Get your croissants from the bakery a few days early or shop the discount day old rack in the bakery section at your grocery store. They are better a little stale for this recipe.)
- 1 cup freshly sliced strawberries
- 6 ounces fresh blueberries
- 4 large eggs
- pint of light cream (Using cream in a casserole like this gives it a rich flavor that you just can't get from regular milk. If you have heavy cream, simply cut it to half and half with milk for the recipe.)
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt (or sea salt)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Supplies: 9 x 13 inch baking dish and nonstick cooking spray.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees f. (Unless you are preparing ahead of time as an overnight casserole).
Start by coating the interior of the baking dish with cooking spray. Then tear up the croissants.
Layer in half the torn croissants, then half the berries. Repeat with the rest.
Beat the eggs and sugar together.
Add vanilla and salt.
Whisk the cream in, then pour evenly over the casserole.
Press the croissant pieces down to make sure they are well saturated (or cover with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate overnight).
Bake the casserole for approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes. Keep a close eye on the progress after an hour. You are just looking for the egg custard to set.
Allow to cool at room temperature for about 10 minutes before serving.
Top slices of the croissant breakfast casserole with some freshly whipped heavy cream. Homemade whipped cream is super easy to prepare in just a couple minutes. Yum!
If you really have a sweet tooth, sprinkle with powdered sugar or drizzle on some maple syrup.
The berry croissant bake also makes a fantastic dessert, especially once chilled which brings it's sweetness out.
Once the casserole cools to room temperature cover or place leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate promptly. The casserole will be good for 3-4 days.
This is my family's favorite among breakfast casseroles. I hope you enjoy.
Croissant Breakfast Casserole
- 9 x 13 baking dish
- 4 croissants , full size (a day or two old is best)
- 1 cup strawberries , fresh sliced
- 6 oz blueberries
- 4 large eggs
- 16 oz light cream
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat the interior of a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Tear up the croissants and start filling the casserole. When half full layer in half of each type of berry. Add the rest of the torn croissants, then top with the remaining berries.
- Beat the eggs in a medium mixing bowl or batter bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the mixture over the berries and croissants, then tamp down gently with the back of a spoon to make sure the croissant pieces are well soaked. Place in oven and bake for approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes, until the center is set. Keep an eye on the progress after about an hour.
- Remove the breakfast casserole from the oven and allow it to cool about 10 minutes before serving.