Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast is an easy chicken recipe your family will love. I've actually included two versions of this flavorful chicken breasts recipe, one baked the other prepared on the stove top. Both are satisfying light chicken dinners and perfect for an easy weeknight meal.
Did I mention this yummy cheesy broccoli stuffed chicken breast recipe is low carb too? Yes, it is!
Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast
I thought I would show an example of a meal that incorporates these dietary preferences. I made Cheese and Broccoli Stuffed Chicken entrée with Maple Butternut Squash and Creamy Bacon Zucchini Noodles for lunch today. It was a filling dinner, with lots of vegetables and plenty of protein.
Making Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
This is a very easy stuffed chicken breast recipe. The cheese and broccoli provide plenty of flavor, for this low-carb entrée. (Full printable recipe card below.)
Here are all the ingredients you need to make these broccoli and cheddar cheese chicken breasts.
- large chicken breasts, boneless skinless chicken cutlets
- sharp cheddar cheese, slices or shredded (American or Swiss are also good choices)
- frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- olive oil (for basting outside of chicken)
- Italian seasoning, salt and pepper (garlic powder or paprika optional)
You will also need a baking sheet or dish and toothpicks to hold the chicken breasts in place.
Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees F.
Butterflying the chicken breasts: Using a sharp knife butterfly each chicken breast cutlet starting at the thickest point. Slice in deeply but take care not to cut all the way through.
Now fill with cheese and broccoli florets, then roll up the chicken breasts and secure with toothpicks. Rub some oil and seasoning on outside of each stuffed chicken breast.
If you are a garlic lover feel free to add a pinch of garlic powder mixed in with the broccoli.
Place each cheese and broccoli stuffed chicken breast on a baking sheet, oven safe dish or roasting pan. If the pan is not non-stick, make sure to add a little olive oil (or other high heat oil) before putting in chicken.
Bake the stuffed chicken breasts in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes. Shown with some seasoned butternut squash as a side dish. If you want to roast veggies along with your broccoli cheese stuffed chicken breast wraps cut them small and toss in olive oil or other high heat oil before adding to pan.
Variations of the Recipe
There are so many twists and ways to expand on this simple recipe for broccoli cheese stuffed chicken breast. Here are a few easy suggestions.
- Add 4 ounces of cream cheese with ½ cup shredded cheddar (also 4 ounces) and chopped broccoli to a bowl and mix. Stuff each chicken breast with the broccoli cheese mixture. Required cooking time may increase by a couple minutes.
- Use fresh broccoli in the recipe by steaming the florets first, then rolling the cooled and drained broccoli in the chicken breasts.
- Slice up a roasted red bell pepper, add it into the stuffing and use a white cheese. This will make a perfect Christmas stuffed chicken dinner.
- Encrust the outside of the chicken breasts, by basting with mayonnaise and rolling in Parmesan cheese or breadcrumbs.
Leftover broccoli cheddar cheese chicken can be wrapped in plastic wrap or sealed in an airtight container after cooling and stored in the fridge for 3-4 days. For longer term storage, freeze for up to 3 months.
If you don't feel like stuffing chicken, simply grill it and serve with my broccoli cheese casserole on the side or try my Crock Pot Chicken Alfredo Recipe with some broccoli added. Either of these would also make a great weeknight dinner.
Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts trimmed
- 4 ounces sliced or shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 ounces fresh or frozen broccoli (steam or thaw before using)
- olive oil for basting outside of chicken
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder ***optional
- Italian seasoning
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat the broccoli according to package directions. Drain well and set aside. If you want to add the garlic powder, sprinkle it on.
- Butterfly each chicken breast. Then place a cheese slice inside each.
- Squeeze out excess water in the broccoli with your hands before placing a handful on top of cheese.
- Wrap the chicken around filling and secure with picks. Then flip over and baste with olive oil and season with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes.