Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast is an easy chicken recipe your family will love. I've actually included two versions of this flavorful chicken breasts recipe, one baked the other prepared on the stove top. Both are satisfying light chicken dinners and perfect for an easy weeknight meal.
Did I mention this yummy cheesy broccoli stuffed chicken breast recipe is low carb too? Yes, it is!
Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
I thought I would show an example of a meal that incorporates these dietary preferences. I made Cheese and Broccoli Stuffed Chicken entree with Maple Butternut Squash and Creamy Bacon Zucchini Noodles for lunch today. It was a filling meal, with lots of vegetables and plenty of protein.
Making Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
This is a very easy stuffed chicken breasts recipe. The cheese and broccoli provide plenty of flavor, for this low-carb entrée. (Full recipe below.)
Ingredients you will need:
- large chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- sharp cheddar cheese, slices or shredded (American or Swiss are also good choices)
- frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- Italian seasoning, salt and pepper (garlic powder optional)
You will also need toothpicks to hold the chicken breasts in place.
Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees F.
Butterflying the chicken breasts: Using a sharp knife butterfly each chicken breast starting at the thickest point. Slice in deeply but take care not to cut all the way through.
Now fill with cheese and broccoli, then roll up the chicken breasts and secure with toothpicks. Rub some seasoning on outside of each stuffed chicken breast.
If you are a garlic lover feel free to add a pinch of garlic powder mixed in with the broccoli.
Place the cheese and broccoli stuffed chicken breasts on a baking sheet, baking dish or roasting pan.
Bake the stuffed chicken breasts in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes. Shown with some seasoned butternut squash as a side dish.
Variations of the Recipe
There are so many twists and ways to expand on this simple recipe. Here are a few easy suggestions.
- Add 4 ounces of cream cheese with ½ cup shredded cheddar (also 4 ounces) and chopped broccoli to a bowl and mix. Stuff each chicken breast with the broccoli cheese mixture. Required cooking time may increase by a couple minutes.
- Slice up a roasted red bell pepper, add it into the stuffing and use a white cheese. This will make a perfect Christmas stuffed chicken dinner.
- Encrust the outside of the chicken breasts, by basting with mayonnaise and rolling in Parmesan cheese or breadcrumbs.
Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts trimmed
- 4 ounces sliced or shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 ounces fresh or frozen broccoli (steam or thaw before using)
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder ***optional
- Italian seasoning
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat the broccoli according to package directions. Drain well and set aside. If you want to add the garlic powder, sprinkle it on.
- Butterfly each chicken breast. Then place a cheese slice inside each.
- Squeeze out excess water in the broccoli with your hands before placing a handful on top of cheese.
- Wrap the chicken around filling and secure with picks. Then flip over and season with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.