Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast is an easy chicken recipe your family will love. I've actually included two versions of this flavorful chicken breasts recipe, one baked the other prepared on the stove top. Both are satisfying light chicken dinners and perfect for an easy weeknight meal.
Did I mention this yummy cheesy broccoli stuffed chicken breast recipe is low carb too? Yes, it is!
Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
I thought I would show an example of a meal that incorporates these dietary preferences. I made Cheese and Broccoli Stuffed Chicken entrée with Maple Butternut Squash and Creamy Bacon Zucchini Noodles for lunch today. It was a filling meal, with lots of vegetables and plenty of protein.
Crock pot Glazed Carrots, Sauteed Asparagus with mushrooms, or Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries would also be great side dish choices for this stuffed chicken breast too.
Making Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
This is a very easy stuffed chicken breast recipe. The cheese and broccoli provide plenty of flavor, for this low-carb entrée. (Full recipe below.)
Ingredients you will need:
- large chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- sharp cheddar cheese, slices or shredded (American or Swiss are also good choices)
- frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- Italian seasoning, salt and pepper (garlic powder optional)
You will also need toothpicks to hold the chicken breasts in place.
Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees F.
Butterflying the chicken breasts: Using a sharp knife butterfly each chicken breast starting at the thickest point. Slice in deeply but take care not to cut all the way through.
Now fill with cheese and broccoli, then roll up the chicken breasts and secure with toothpicks. Rub some seasoning on outside of each stuffed chicken breast.
If you are a garlic lover feel free to add a pinch of garlic powder mixed in with the broccoli.
Place each cheese and broccoli stuffed chicken breast on a baking sheet, oven safe dish or roasting pan. If the pan is not non-stick, make sure to add a little olive oil (or other high heat oil) before putting in chicken.
Bake the stuffed chicken breasts in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes. Shown with some seasoned butternut squash as a side dish. If you want to roast veggies along with your broccoli cheese stuffed chicken breast wraps cut them small and toss in olive oil or other high heat oil before adding to pan.
Variations of the Recipe
There are so many twists and ways to expand on this simple recipe for broccoli cheese stuffed chicken breast. Here are a few easy suggestions.
- Add 4 ounces of cream cheese with ½ cup shredded cheddar (also 4 ounces) and chopped broccoli to a bowl and mix. Stuff each chicken breast with the broccoli cheese mixture. Required cooking time may increase by a couple minutes.
- Slice up a roasted red bell pepper, add it into the stuffing and use a white cheese. This will make a perfect Christmas stuffed chicken dinner.
- Encrust the outside of the chicken breasts, by basting with mayonnaise and rolling in Parmesan cheese or breadcrumbs.
If you don't feel like stuffing chicken, simply grill it and serve with my broccoli cheese casserole on the side or try my Crock Pot Chicken Alfredo Recipe with some broccoli added.
Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts trimmed
- 4 ounces sliced or shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 ounces fresh or frozen broccoli (steam or thaw before using)
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder ***optional
- Italian seasoning
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat the broccoli according to package directions. Drain well and set aside. If you want to add the garlic powder, sprinkle it on.
- Butterfly each chicken breast. Then place a cheese slice inside each.
- Squeeze out excess water in the broccoli with your hands before placing a handful on top of cheese.
- Wrap the chicken around filling and secure with picks. Then flip over and season with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
Your stuffed chicken looks so good and I love that it's made with top-quality, whole, organic ingredients. I'll try this one soon!
Wildish Jess says
I'm not a broccoli eater but that squash and zucchini noodles look delicious!
Savannah Miller says
I have a hard time working healthy food into my diet. But that chicken recipe looks so yummy!! I wonder if it would taste good with a pepper jack cheese, that way I could add a little spice, I may try it both ways 🙂
Angelic Sinova says
OH. MY. GOD. I need this Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken recipe in life. I LOVE broccoli so much and am always looking for fun new recipes and ways to incorporate it into my meal. I'll definitely be trying this recipe out ASAP <3
Wow, that looks delicious! I'm with you on making smarter food choices. I don't know if its something with my age, but I can clearly feel the difference know when I'm eating healthier. I don't know if i was just oblivious before, or if age has made more sensitive to the affects of junk food, but I enjoy healtheir food so much more than I enjoy junk food these days.
alexandria waning says
OK. I need a spiralizer. Where did you get yours?! I'm obsessed with pasta so I wanna try some veggie noodles.
Robin Gagnon says
The simple hand twist ones can be picked up at most dept stores.
This looks so yummy! I love the idea and will be trying this soon. I know my family would love this and who doesn't love a good cheesy meal?
Bonnie @wemake7 says
That looks like a really great meal. We too have been changing the way we eat. It takes more time to cook from scratch but I love it. =) Can't wait to try this.
Colette S says
I love that you served butternut squash with the stuffed chicken breast! my fave side and we loved the combo
I have never tried making stuffed chicken before because honestly I was a bit intimidated. I must admit you made it easy and I could pull it off and have a great meal to boot! Thanks for sharing!
Jennifer Mitchell says
This cheese stuffed chicken broccoli meal was really delicious! The idea of stuffing chicken with broccoli and cheese this way was easy and the dinner was yummy!
I am a lover broccoli and cheese and having it stuffed in chicken is absolutely amazing!
I loved the broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken, the recipe was SO delicious!
Oh my! This chicken came out amazing and it was easier than I thought it would be! Definitely will have to make it again!
This chicken and broccoli recipe was heavenly and so easy.
the broccoli stuffed chicken was delicious! I want to try that zucchini. My kids hate broccoli so this was for date night with hubs at home.
Mary Edwards says
These stuffed chicken breasts were absolutely delicious. Everyone ate them up! I only had shredded cheese, so I added a little softened cream cheese to it and the chicken breasts were easy to roll up then.