My very favorite Broccoli au Gratin Casserole. It is always popular with family and friends.
One of the most popular dishes I make each Thanksgiving is a Super Cheesy Broccoli Au Gratin Casserole. It is actually an easy dish to make from scratch and doesn’t take very long from start to serve, so I recently decided to make a batch as a bit of a treat & readily available meatless dish or side. Boy, was it good, and also convenient to have on hand during the hectic school week.
By making your own simple cheese sauce from scratch for the broccoli cheese casserole, rather than using something from a can or box, you avoid a lot of chemicals and preservatives. It is very easy and quick to make. I assure you, after making it a couple times, you won’t bother with the canned or powdered stuff again.
- 2 quarts broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter or spread
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp chicken or vegetable base preferably msg free
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- 2 tbs. butter or spread
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the florets in a glass or ceramic bowl, add the 1/4 cup of water, cover with plastic wrap and steam in the microwave for 5 minutes, then drain the broccoli, and arrange in a 2 qt casserole dish (I usually use an 8x8).
- Prepare the topping for the casserole, by mixing half of the butter/spread into the Panko crumbs.
- While the broccoli is steaming, melt the remaining butter in saucepan over med-high heat. Once melted add garlic & stir.
- After the garlic is cooked through and soft (only takes about a minute), add milk, flour and base. Whisk well, and continue to whisk frequently. Cooking until the sauce readily coats the back of a spoon (see image).
- Remove the sauce from burner, then add 1/2 the cheese. Stir until cheese is melted, then pour over the broccoli evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the casserole, then evenly cover with topping.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes, until crumbs are golden brown.