My very favorite Broccoli au Gratin Casserole. It is always popular with family and friends. The broccoli gratin side side is requested every year for Thanksgiving.
One of the most popular dishes I make each Thanksgiving is this yummy Broccoli Au Gratin Casserole. It is actually an easy dish to make from scratch. It’s such a quick recipe to prepare too.
Broccoli gratin is one of my favorite meatless dishes or and a popular comfort food side dish. It’s so convenient to have on hand during the hectic school week. If you know how to mix ingredients together and bake it, then you can make this. There are three parts to this casserole: the broccoli, the cheese sauce, and the crunchy browned bread crumb topping.
Cheese Sauce from Scratch
It’s so easy to make your own! It is a great way to avoid the chemicals and preservatives that are in lots of canned or box cheese sauces too.
I assure you, after making it a couple of times, you won’t bother with the canned or powdered stuff again.
How To Make Broccoli Au Gratin Casserole
Let’s make the casserole! I have step-by-step instructions with pictures for you here, or jump down to the printable recipe card if you prefer.
- Broccoli Florets
- Panko bread crumbs
- Chicken stock
- Salt and black pepper
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. F.
Steam the broccoli. Fresh broccoli can be placed in a glass bowl with a little water. Cover the top with plastic wrap and microwave for about 5 minutes, until crisp tender. Drain and assemble in the baking dish.
Mix half the softened butter in with the Panko crumbs to make a topping. Set aside.
Melt the remaining butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook about one minute to soften. Reduce heat to medium.
Add milk, flour and base to the pan. Whisk well, while you cook, stirring constantly so it won’t burn or clump. Cooking until the sauce readily coats the back of a spoon.
Take the sauce off the burner and stir in half of the shredded cheddar cheese.
Pour the cheese sauce evenly over the broccoli florets. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese then the bread crumbs.
Bake for 20 minutes to 25 minutes. Until bubbly and the topping is golden brown.
Broccoli Au Gratin Casserole Recipe
- 2 quarts broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter or spread
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp chicken or vegetable base preferably msg free
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbs. butter or spread
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat an 8 x 8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray (optional step that makes clean up easier).
- Place the florets in a glass or ceramic bowl, add the 1/4 cup of water, cover with plastic wrap and steam in the microwave for 5 minutes, then drain the broccoli, and arrange in a 2 qt casserole dish (I usually use an 8x8).
- Prepare the topping for the casserole, by mixing half of the butter/spread into the Panko crumbs. Set aside.
- While the broccoli is steaming, melt the remaining butter in saucepan over med-high heat. Once melted add garlic and stir.
- After the garlic is cooked through and soft (only takes about a minute), add milk, flour and base. Whisk well, and continue to whisk frequently. Cooking until the sauce readily coats the back of a spoon (see image).
- Remove the sauce from burner, then add 1/2 the cheese. Stir until cheese is melted, add salt and pepper to taste. Then pour over the broccoli evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the casserole, then evenly cover with topping.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes, until the panko crumbs are golden brown.