Jason Vorhees can grace your cupcakes this Halloween, or at least a rendition of his mask made so popular in the Friday the 13th movie series can. Of course while this is a perfect Halloween party food, it would be even more apropos for a Friday the 13th movie viewing marathon. We all know those will be coming up very soon. Be ready with a batch of Friday the 13th Cupcakes featuring Jason’s mask, complete with blood spatter.
Full scratch directions for the cupcakes and frosting are included below, but feel free to swap out box mix and frosting if you wish to just focus on making the icing masks. I actually think a red velvet cupcake would be a wonderful option for these bloody Friday the 13th Cupcakes.
Friday the 13th Jason Mask Halloween Cupcakes
Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
- Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 3/4 C Flour
- 2 C Sugar
- 1 C Cocoa
- 1 1/2 TSP Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 TSP Baking Powder
- 1 TSP Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1 C Whole Milk
- 1 C soft unsalted butter
- 4 + C powder sugar
- 4 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 C Oil
- 2 TSP Vanilla
- 1 C Boiling Water
- 2 egg whites
- 1 C powder sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Black & red gel food coloring
- 1 C corn syrup
- Red gel food coloring
Jason's Mask (Items Needed)
- Picture of Jason's Mask
- wax paper
- pastry bag
- #2 pastry tip
Chocolate Cupcake Directions
- -Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- -Line the cupcake tins with paper liners.
- -Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- -In a separate bowl add the eggs, whole milk, oil, and vanilla.
- -Add the bowl containing the eggs, whole milk, oil, and vanilla to the bowl holding the dry ingredients.
- -Mix all together until fully incorporated.
- -Beat for 3 minutes on medium.
- -Slowly add the boiling water starting with a small amount then pour in the remaining boiling water.
- -The batter may be a little runny.
- -Scoop batter into cupcake lined cups until 3/4s filled.
- -Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- -Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- -Take out of the cupcake pan placing on a wire rack until completely cooled.
- -Cream the butter and powder sugar until it looks light and creamy.
- -If it doesn't cream add several drops of the heavy whipping cream until it creams.
- -Test to see if the frosting can form and hold a stiff peak by taking a spoonful of frosting and turning the spoon upside down. If the frosting stays on the spoon it is ready if not then....
- - Add more powder sugar 1/2 C at a time.... mix well.
- -If ready scoop the frosting into a pastry bag with a large tip.
- -Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting to the tip.
- -Start by frosting on the outside edge of the cupcake working to the center of the cupcake.
Royal Icing Directions
- -Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl mixing on medium speed for 4 minutes. (except your food coloring)
- -If icing is not stiff enough add 1/4 C powder sugar.
- - Spoon 4 TBSP of icing into a bowl, add several drops of red gel food coloring, mixing well.
- -In the second bowl spoon 1/3 of the remaining icing into it adding several drops of black gel food coloring stirring well.
- -Spoon the remaining icing into the third bowl. This bowl remains white.
- -Scoop each color of icing into a separate frosting bag with a small tip.
Red Blood Directions
- -In the bowl or lidded container pour the corn syrup adding several drops of red gel food coloring until the desired color has been reached.
Making Jason's Mask and Assembling Cupcakes
- -Locate a picture of Jason's mask on Google. Print this picture in color. Tape this picture of Jason's mask (with multiple small pictures) of it on it to a cookie sheet.
- -Tape wax paper (covering the copies of the image) to the cookie sheet .
- -Using a small pastry bag fill with the black royal icing and a #2 tip. Start by outlining the mask first. Next fill in the mask with the white icing. Allow this to dry for 30-60 seconds.
- -Using a small pastry bag fill with the red royal icing and a #2 tip. Start by outlining the red rectangle on the mask first. Fill in the mark with the red icing. Allow this to dry for 30-60 seconds.
- -Using the same small pastry bag fill with the black royal icing and a #2 tip. Start by outlining around the eyes with thick line. Make dots on the mask with the black icing.
- -Allow to dry for 5-10 hours.
- -Ensure that the mask is dry, gently touch one of them with your finger if it allows you to push in on the icing allow it to dry more. If the mask is dry then it will have a hard feeling not allowing you to push in on it.
- -Cut the wax paper holding the completed mask into squares surrounding the completed masks.
- -Once the mask is dry, carefully peel the wax paper off of the back of each of the masks.
- - Place on the frosted cupcake.
- -Using a spoon drip the "red blood" over Jason's Mask and the rest of the frosted cupcake.