These Cherry Almond Cookies are a traditional cookie often served on Italian cookie platters at Christmas time. Of course these lovely little cookies are great anytime of year and are popular around Valentines day and for family gatherings year round.
Cherry Almond Cookies
I remember these cookies from childhood and they were always a favorite. The slight twist on these cookies is the drizzle of white chocolate on top which serves as an icing.
The little cookies certainly have a classic, yet festive look, don’t they.
How to Make Cherry Almond Cookies
Here is a step-by-step visual guide to making these traditional cookies. Full printable recipe below.
First preheat your oven to 350 degrees and gather your ingredients.
Put the softened cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl with the brown sugar.
Mix well. Then add egg, salt, and extracts. Mix again.
Mix in the flour a little at a time.
Until you have a cookie dough. Chill the dough.
Roll small 1″ balls of the dough and space them out a couple inches on a baking sheet.
Now press your thumb down on each to create an impression.
Pop a cherry in each indent.
Bake for approximately 12 minutes, until starting to very lightly brown at edges. Then place on wire rack to cool to room temperature. Place the rack over paper to prep for icing the cookies.
Microwave white chocolate in short intervals until melted and place in plastic baggy (or piping bag/bottle if you have one).
Snip off a corner of the bag and drizzle the melted chocolate over the cookies. Allow to rest until cool and the chocolate is firm to the touch.
More Holiday Cookies
- Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies – Easy Holiday Cookies!
- Cranberry Orange Shortbread Cookies with Walnuts
- Old Fashioned Molasses Cookies Recipe
- Coconut Bars Recipe
- Caramel Cookie Cups with Pecans and Chocolate
Classic Cherry Almond cookies, an easy recipe for this popular holiday cookie.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter ,softened (one stick)
- 8 oz. cream cheese , softened
- 1- cup light brown sugar , snugly packed
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 20 oz maraschino cherries (jar) drained and patted dry
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the butter, cream cheese and brown sugar and mix until everything is creamed together. Add in the egg, salt, almond extract, and vanilla extract and continue to mix until well combined.
- Slowly add the flour into the wet mixture and mix until smooth.
- Cover the bowl and chill for several hours.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop 1-inch balls and roll them into balls. Place the dough onto your cookie sheet and press a small well into the tops of them with your thumb.
- Grab a maraschino cherry and gently squeeze it in a paper towel, to make sure it’s not wet, and place it into the well of your cookie.
- *Note – If the cherries are still wet they will leave red stains around the top of your cookies.
- Bake for about 12 minutes and cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Once all of the cookies are baked and cooled, place the white chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave the chocolate for 20 seconds, stir and then microwave 5-7 seconds at a time until the chocolate is all melted. Pour the melted chocolate into a baggie, snip the end just very slightly and drizzle the chocolate all over your cookies. Let the cookies sit for a few minutes so the chocolate can set.