Shortbread cookies are a personal favorite of mine. Over the years I’ve made many different versions, but these Cranberry Orange Shortbread cookies are among my best. The addition of walnuts makes the cookies richer and even more of a seasonal delight.
Cranberry Orange Shortbread Cookies Recipe Preparation
Here is a quick visual walkthrough of the preparation of these shortbread cookies. Full recipe below.
After mixing the Cranberry Orange Shortbread Cookie dough is rolled into two logs and wrapped and refrigerated to firm up.
Once firm the logs are cut into 1/2 inch thick slices, then laid out on a parchment lined baking sheet.
After baking the Cranberry Orange Shortbread cookies are cooled on a rack before serving or packing to gift.Print
Cranberry Orange Shortbread Cookies with Walnuts
- Prep Time: 2 hours 10 mins
- Cook Time: 11 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours 21 minutes
- Yield: 30
- Category: Dessert
- 1 cup of unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectionery sugar
- 2 tbs orange juice
- 2 tbs orange zest
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups of flour (all-purpose is fine)
- 2/3 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup dried sweetened cranberries, chopped
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- In a small separate bowl mix salt in orange juice to dissolve then add to butter mixture along with the zest and extract, and mix.
- Add the flour and mix well, then fold in the walnuts and dried cranberries as best you can.
- Knead the dough lightly, enough to evenly distribute the pieces, then split in half and roll into two logs about 2 inches thick. Wrap each log in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to firm up.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut each cookie dough log into slices about 3/8″ thick. Arrange on parchment. These shortbread cookies will not expand much at all, but leave a little space between them.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes, then remove to rack to cool.