This quick and easy Chicken Pasta Salad with canned chicken mimics a chicken dinner, but takes just a few minutes to make and since it is served cold is perfect for these sweltering summer days we are having right now.
Chicken Pasta Salad Dinner
In the dog days of summer, I am not a fan of slaving over a hot pot or doing much baking. I want quick convenient meals that my fussy daughter will actually eat. It is also a big plus if a meal is easy tote around. We like to eat out in our gazebo once the weather cools in the early evening. This canned chicken pasta salad recipe is not only an easy to make weeknight dinner, but being a cold all-in-one meal, it is ideal for outdoor dining. Also, since it is a cold dish it can be made ahead and eaten anytime over the next few days. It doesn’t get much easier than that.
Make Chicken Pasta Salad with Canned Chicken
You will love how easy it is to make this chicken pasta salad that eats like a meal.
With the help of a humble can of chicken this weeknight dinner can be prepared in about 15 minutes. It is a terrific way to add lean protein to a meal in a flash.
Got leftover grilled or rotisserie chicken? Toss in a cup of chopped or shredded leftover chicken instead of canned.
The dressing is very simple and while adding flavor doesn’t overpower the chicken and vegetables.
More Easy Dinners
- Mediterranean Sausage Pasta
- Green Pea Salad
- Sheet Pan Sausage and Vegetables
- Honey Orange Glazed Chicken Recipe
- 1/2 lb small shells or dry pasta of choice
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables approx. 10-12 oz
- 10 oz. canned chicken Breast
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tbs. buttermilk*
- 2 tbs. Italian dressing
- Boil the pasta to al dente. Thaw vegetables in microwave while pasta is cooking. The vegetables only need to be thawed not thoroughly heated.
Drain and rinse pasta with cold water. Drain well, then add vegetables. Drain canned chicken and add to pasta as well.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients in small bowl to make dressing.
- Add dressing to pasta bowl and mix well.
* if you don't have buttermilk swap 2 tbs of milk or cream + 1/2 tsp of vinegar