This spicy Cajun Chicken Pasta with Sausage and Peppers in creamy sauce is a hearty comfort food meal the whole family will love. The easy creamy Cajun chicken pasta recipe is perfect for a weeknight dinner, since it takes just a few minutes to prepare and the results are quite delicious!
While it is spicy from the Cajun seasoning, the Cajun pasta sauce is not overpowering. Unless you have a very sensitive palette you should be fine with this penne pasta dish.
Creamy Cajun Chicken and Sausage Pasta
Unlike many Cajun Chicken and pasta dishes, this one is not a chicken alfredo simply topped with blackened chicken. The sauce is seasoned and is more of a pink sauce, with both tomato sauce and cream in it.
If you like this recipe, try my Chicken Fajita Pasta as well. It is quite similar.
How to Make Cajun Chicken Pasta
Here I will guide you there the process of preparing this easy pasta recipe, complete with step-by-step pictures. Jump right down to the printable recipe card if you prefer.
Cajun Pasta Ingredients
Here are all the ingredients you will need to make the one pot Cajun chicken and pasta (Cajun seasoning not pictured).
- 3 cups cooked pasta, any shape, make sure to cook pasta al dente and preserve a ½ cup of pasta water for later use (I used penne pasta. Bow tie pasta is also a popular choice)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, avocado oil or vegetable oil (swap one tablespoon butter if you prefer)
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced (or ½ teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 pound chicken breast (approximately 2 medium chicken breasts), cut into bite size pieces or thin chicken strips
- 2 ½ teaspoon Cajun spice Make your own homemade Cajun seasoning with my Cajun seasoning recipe.
- 1 link of smoked sausage, sliced ( I recommend andouille, but kielbasa could be used in the recipe as well)
- ½ green bell pepper, sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ cup canned tomato sauce
- ¼ cup preserved cooked pasta water or chicken stock
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 20 cherry tomatoes, halved (or fresh diced tomatoes, only use canned if you have to and fire roasted diced tomatoes would be the best choice in that case)
- ½ cup cheddar, shredded
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
The recipe is mildly spicy, if you prefer more heat add a little ground cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes. Start with an ⅛ teaspoon and add more until you reach your desired heat level.
Now let's get down to preparation of this creamy Cajun chicken pasta. You will need a large skillet or sauté pan.
In a large saute pan, on medium high heat, add olive oil, chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté until the onion begins soften.
Add chicken breast to the pan, then sprinkle Cajun spice all over the chicken.
Continue stirring chicken over medium high heat until all sides are cooked. Then add slices of sausages and cook for another minute.
After that, add cooked pasta, preserved pasta water and cook for a further 2 or 3 minutes or until most of the water evaporated.
Add bell pepper followed by tomato sauce and stir until the bell peppers cooked completely, about 2-3 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium, stir in the heavy cream to coat everything completely then turn off the heat. (Photo 08)
Add cherry tomatoes, and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary. Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or green onions. Serve immediately.
Variations on the Recipe
Cooking is all about experimenting and here are a few add-ins or swaps that you may like to try in this Cajun pasta recipe.
- Add some fresh mushrooms in addition to or in place of the peppers. Fresh spinach would also be a great choice.
- Make it a Cajun shrimp pasta. Use a pound of peeled deveined shrimp rather than the chicken or a couple handfuls if an add-in. Timing: Add shrimp along with the peppers so they don't overcook.
- Swap cream cheese for the heavy cream in the creamy Cajun pasta sauce. You should be able to get away with a little less. Use Neufchatel to help lower the fat and calories. Sour cream is another option.
- Boost the fiber and nutrients in the recipe by using whole wheat pasta. I recommend under cooking the pasta a bit more if you do. I find whole wheat softens up more.
- Top the Cajun chicken pasta with Parmesan cheese instead of the cheddar if you prefer.
Any leftover pasta can be packaged in a well sealed airtight container after it cools to room temperature and kept in the fridge for 3-4 days. Leftovers placed in the freezer will last up to 3 months.
When reheating add a drizzle of olive oil to sauté or simply microwave.
If you love Cajun flavors, try my Cajun Chicken Appetizers and Cajun Keto Crackers too. They all feature Cajun seasoning! Just looking for a tasty sausage dinner? Try my Kielbasa and Pierogis or Mediterranean Sausage Pasta.
Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe with Sausage
- 3 cups cooked pasta (any shape) cook pasta al dente and preserve a ½ cup of pasta water for later use
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast cut into bite size or thin strips
- 2 ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning spice
- 1 link smoked sausage (such as Andouille sausage) sliced
- ½ green bell pepper sliced
- ½ red bell pepper sliced
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup preserved cooked pasta water or low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 20 cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cup cheddar shredded
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saute pan, on medium high heat, add oil and chopped onion and garlic. Cook until the onion begins soften.
- Add chicken breast to the pan, then sprinkle Cajun spice all over the chicken.
- Continue stirring chicken over medium high heat until all sides are cooked. Then add slices of sausages and cook for another minute.
- After that, add cooked pasta, preserved pasta water and cook for a further 2 or 3 minutes or until most of the water evaporated.
- Add bell pepper followed by tomato sauce and stir until the bell peppers cooked completely, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium, stir in the heavy cream to coat everything completely then turn off the heat.
- Add cherry tomatoes, and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary. Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top. Serve immediately.
Common misspellings; cajan pasta, cajun oasta, cajon pasta, cajin pasta, cajuan pasta