Want a moist Banana Bundt Cake sour cream is the secret! Of course, ripe bananas hold some nice moisture themselves. The brown butter used in the bundt cake recipe adds both flavor and enhances a moist texture, but sour cream ensures it.
Moist Banana Bundt Cake: Sour Cream
Sour cream is used in this banana bundt cake both to ensure moisture and to create a dense yet tender crumb. Both the richness of the sour cream and it's acidity improve the results. It can improve many cakes over using milk.
While I say the moistness of the banana cake recipe comes from the sour cream it is not the only secret utilized in this cake.
Brown Butter in the Banana Bundt Cake
This moist banana bundt cake has an added subtle nutty toasted flavor thanks to using browned butter rather than just simple softened butter. Browning the butter adds flavor but also reduces the moisture in the butter, that is not a concern in this recipe as the bananas and sour cream provide more than ample moisture.
Cool cake fully before covering with the orange icing. Icing helps seal in the moisture of the cake. The banana bundt cake does have some similarity to banana bread, but the texture is a bit more cake-like.
More Bundt Cakes!
- Cranberry Sour Cream Bundt Cake
- Oatmeal-Molasses Pumpkin Cake with Caramel Glaze and Candied Pumpkin Seed Topping
- Walnut Meyer Lemon Bundt Cake
- Baby Banana Cakes (Mini-Bundts) with Vanilla Caramel Glaze
Another recipe that benefits from the use of sour cream is my Sour Cream Cookies, which are a must make for the holidays!
Banana Bundt Cake Recipe with Sour Cream
- 8 oz unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large over ripe bananas mashed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tbs orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and lightly flour a bundt pan.
- Place small skillet over medium heat. Add butter. Melt and allow to brown, stirring frequently. Butter should be lightly browned, not burnt. Set aside.
- Beat eggs and vanilla together, then mix in the browned butter, bananas, sour cream sugar and sea salt.
- I another bowl mix the baking powder into the flour, then add to wet mixture. Stir well until batter is smooth.
- Scoop batter into bundt pan and smooth out. Bake for approximately 50 min. until inserted pick pulls clean.
- Cool for about 5 -10 min, then flip onto a cooling rack. Once fully cool mix the icing ingredients and spread over the top of bundt cake. Allow to drip down.
Leave a Reply