This week my garden finally started to kick in, and this Creamy Light Arugula Basil Almond Pesto recipe is the result. The sauce is quick to toss together and pretty healthy too. I love pignoli (pine nuts), but they are pricey, so I rarely have them on hand, hence the use of almonds. While this creamy pesto goes great on pasta, it would be wonderful over grilled chicken too.
Creamy Light Arugula-Basil Almond Pesto
- handful of fresh basil roughly ⅔ cup
- handful of fresh arugula roughly ⅔ cup
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- clove of garlic
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of organic chicken base
- ½ cup low fat buttermilk
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Put basil, arugula, almonds, garlic, salt & oil in food processor.
- Pulse until it becomes a thick paste.
- Place buttermilk in sauce pan over med-high heat, and whisk in chicken base.
- Simmer for about a minute, then add pesto mix, stir and heat through.
- Take off burner, and stir in the cheese.
- Add pepper to taste.