We still have plenty of summer left, and macaroni salad is good year round anyway. So… I thought I would share this classic traditional macaroni salad recipe with you today. It is perfect for your next picnic, family dinner or tail-gating (football season is about to kick-in after all). Feel free to swap up the vegetable additions a bit to suit your own tastes. After all, I think most families have their own version of macaroni salad. If yours doesn’t yet, here is a starting point… make it your own.
One essential for making a good traditional macaroni salad is a nice small somewhat even dice to all the vegetables you add. Switching some out or even adding bacon or cheese is great, but make sure the dice is small so your flavors combine & the small macaroni pasta isn’t overwhelmed. The vegetables provide a nice crunch too.
More Picnic Salads!
- Southern Potato Salad
- Broccoli and Bacon Salad
- Green Pea Salad
- Easy Potato Salad
- Strawberry Fluff Salad
Classic Macaroni Salad
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Vinegar white or apple cider
- 1 tbsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 lb Macaroni cooked and drained
- 1 cup Celery chopped
- 1 cup Bell Pepper chopped, Red and/or Green
- 1 cup Cucumber Chopped
- 1/2 cup Red Onion chopped
- 3 Hard Boiled Eggs chopped
- 1/4 cup Carrot diced
- pinch Paprika
- 1/4 cup chopped Green Onion as garnish
- Whisk the first 6 ingredients together well, to make the dressing.
- Add the remaining ingredients and toss thoroughly to coat everything evenly.
- Chill in refrigerator for a few hours before serving.