This easy Queso Dip recipe is perfect for football parties, as well as just about any party or gathering. The simple recipe makes a nice big batch of queso just like you would get at your favorite Mexican restaurant.
The homemade queso recipe is easy to reheat or keep warm too. Grab some tortilla chips and let the dipping festivities commence!
Queso dip is one of the best party dips you can make and it's oh so easy to prepare.
As I mentioned above this easy queso recipe makes a pretty large batch of the cheese dip and if you should need more, preparation is simple and quick. This versatile dip is not only is it perfect for dipping chips into, it is a great accompaniment to many appetizers, such as potato skins and taquitos, as well.
Store leftover queso in an airtight container in the fridge after it has cooled down. The Velveeta queso sauce can be used in skillet meals or casseroles, among a host of other scrumptious practical options. Imagine a shaved steak sandwich slathered in this spicy cheese sauce...YUM.
How to make Queso Dip (just 2-ingredients)
You would be hard-pressed to find a more easy to make homemade queso dip than this. You only need two ingredients to make this delicious Tex-mex cheese party dip, like you get in Mexican restaurants.
Simply mixed together melted cheese and the canned tomatoes to make the Mexican cheese dip. Stir until creamy and smooth. Serve immediately or keep it warm for dunking. Add a little finely chopped cilantro as garnish if you like.
Velveeta is made to be a melting cheese, so smooth and creamy results are ensured.
Slow Cooker Queso
You can make Queso in a slow cooker too! Simply add your ingredients and turn the crock pot to high. Stir occasionally. Once the cheese is melted, reduce to low heat.
The Rotel queso is easily kept nice and warm in the slow cooker too. That is great for busy hosts, just leave it on the lowest setting and warm dip is always ready for guests to enjoy without any fuss. Just make sure you have plenty of tortilla chips for this hot cheesy dip!
Variations on the Recipe
- Want it more spicy? Use Velveeta pepper jack cheese instead of the regular version. This is also how to make it into a white queso dip recipe (queso blanco). Alternatively, add ground cayenne pepper or hot sauce to taste. A small drained can of green chilies or jalapeño pepper slices will also do the trick.
- For a thinner yet creamy dip or queso sauce add half and half or evaporated milk until desired consistency is reached. A splash of milk can also be used if that is what you have on-hand. For a thicker queso toss in a block of cream cheese.
- Add drained and rinsed canned black beans or sweet corn for texture.
- Garlic lover? Add two roasted cloves garlic. Simply mash and stir in. Alternately, use a ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Add some real cheese, Monterey Jack, sharp cheddar cheese or even American cheese, but make sure to shred it off the block or add as thin slices. Pre-shredded cheese is coated and does not melt evenly.
- In the mood for chili as well, try my crock pot Chili Cheese Dip. It is also a simple 2-ingredient recipe.
You don't need to stop with tortilla chips or potato chips though. This Mexican cheese dip is great for dunking other finger food sin too, like Mini Pigs in a Blanket, Chilis Southwest Egg Rolls or Air Fryer Pierogies.
Easy Queso Dip
- 2 cans of RO*TEL Original Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilis one drained, one not
- 32 oz. block of Velveeta regular or pepper jack
- Put the Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilis in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Chop the Velveeta cheese into cubes and add to the pan. Stir until melted.
- Serve the queso dip with chips.