Air fryer pierogies are delicious crispy and super easy to make. It is a fuss free way to cook frozen pierogies (or fresh) and one of my top picks among air fryer recipes for beginners to try, as it is so simple.
Air fried pierogies make a great appetizer, snack or side dish. Simply season them or serve with your favorite dipping sauce. They are amazing with your favorite polish sausage recipes too!
Benefits of Air Frying Pierogi
When you air fry pierogi you get a crisp texture outside while the filling remains soft inside. It is a healthier alternative to most other cooking methods.
- Air frying results in crispier pierogies than pan frying, with less fat too. There is also no concern of thawing frozen pierogies first. The air fryer makes fried food a healthy daily option. Of course sometimes pan frying is preferable, like with my Pierogies and Kielbasa Skillet, which is mighty tasty! In fact, they pair well with most kielbasa recipes.
- Making air fryer pierogies is definitely better than deep frying. It uses little oil, which not only results in fewer calories, but reduces waste.
- I have rarely been one to boil pierogies, but air frying is just as easy a method of cooking pierogies. It all depends on your preference for a soft vs. a crispy outer dough.
What are Pierogies?
Pierogi dumplings are a traditional Polish food, also eaten throughout Eastern Europe for generations. The dough is stuffed with savory or sweet filling, then boiled, pan fried or this new method, airy frying.
Most Americans are familiar with the most common version which is stuffed with mashed potatoes. This savory filling is flavored with ingredients such as cheese or onions.
What Kind of Pierogies to Air Fry
While I've used potato and cheddar frozen pierogies as the example in this article, you can use any pierogi flavor. Freshly homemade pierogies or store bought refrigerated pierogies can also be cooked in the air fryer, with a simple timing adjustment.
The the cooking time in the recipe is geared for frozen standard sized pierogies in the air fryer. If cooking fresh pierogies, reduce overall time to 8-10 minutes. Mini pierogies in air fryer will cook in about 8 minutes total time.
NOTE: Air fryers vary by brand and model, which can have an effect on amount of cooking time necessary.
How to Cook Pierogies in an Air Fryer
Here I will show you how to make perfect pierogies in air fryer complete with step-by-step pictures. If you prefer, jump down to the printable recipe card below.
Prep time: 2 mins Cook Time: 12 mins
There are just 2 ingredients, unless you want to toss in some seasoning. That really isn't necessary if you are serving with a dip or sauce like I usually do.
- frozen pierogies
- olive or avocado oil (or cooking oil spray)
Preheat air fryer to 390 degrees F (380-400 degrees range is fine if your air fryer is not digital).
Toss the frozen pierogies with olive oil until well coated. (Spray them with cooking spray to until lightly coated if you prefer.)
Dump the pierogies in air fryer and spread out in a single layer in the air fryer basket. This allows the hot air can circulate.
Cook frozen pierogies for 5-6 minutes, then flip each over.
Continue to air fry frozen pierogies for another 5-7 minutes. They will be perfectly cooked when light golden brown and crispy.
Serve warm with your favorite sauce or dip.
Serving Air Fryer Frozen Pierogies
I like to serve the warm air fried pierogies with sour cream, especially my seasoned sour cream dip. The crispy air fryer pierogies go well with many other sauces and dips too though.
Topping the pierogies with caramelized onions is also a delicious way to serve them. Fried onions with gravy even?!
The Polish potato dumplings are a great side dish to serve with another traditional dish of the culture, Kielbasa and Cabbage.
It takes 10-12 minutes to cook frozen pierogies in air fryer (about 8 mins for mini pierogies). Fresh pierogies will take 8-10 minutes, to cook in the appliance.
Cooked pierogies will last 3-4 days in the fridge if sealed in an airtight container within 1-2 hours of cooking. They will last in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Yes sauerkraut or meat pierogies can also be cooked in the air fryer. Keep in mind those types take a little less time to cook than frozen pierogies.
For more air fryer recipes check out my Air Fryer recipes category.
Air Fryer Pierogies
- 1 pound frozen pierogies
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (You can use any high heat oil or cooking oil spray)
- Preheat air fryer to 390 degrees F (380-400 degrees range is fine if your air fryer is not digital).
- Toss the frozen pierogies with oil until well coated. (Spray them with cooking spray to until lightly coated if you prefer.)
- Dump the pierogies in air fryer basket and spread out in a single layer so the hot air can circulate well around them.
- Air fry pierogies for 5-6 minutes, then flip each over.
- Continue to air fry frozen pierogies for another 5-7 minutes. They will be properly cooked when light golden brown and crispy.
- Serve warm with your favorite sauce or dip.