One-Eyed Skull cookies are quite the sweet yet gruesome Halloween treat. That being said, they are not gory, so they won’t turn anyone off from eating them. A perfect addition to your Halloween Party food spread.
How to Make One-Eyed Halloween Skull Cookies
Here are the directions on decorating the cookies, along with the recipes used in making them. Feel free to change cookie, as long as it is a sturdy enough rolled cookie to be decorated.
One-Eyed Skull Cookies: Sugar Cookie RecipePrint
- 5 C flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 C soft unsalted butter
- 2 C granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- Skull Cookie Cutter
- - Cream the soft butter with the sugar until the combination is smooth not grainy to the touch in a mixing bowl.
- -Add all 4 eggs at one time...Continue to mix. -Add the vanilla.. Continue mixing.
- -Sift the four, baking powder, and salt together.
- -Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture.
- -Continue mixing to make sure all ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- -Make the dough into a ball, wrap it in cling wrap completely covering the entire dough ball.
- -Put in the refrigerator for about 6 hours or overnight. Check to see if the dough is firm.
- -Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- -Pull the cookie dough out of the refrigerator and sit it out to soften up a bit.
- - Put flour out on the wood cutting board, rub flour on the rolling pin, and work some flour into the batter. (if necessary).
- -Roll the dough out on the cutting board and using a skull cookie cutter begin to cutting your cookies.
- -Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- -Using a metal spatula move the cut cookie to the parchment lined cookie sheet.
- -Bake at 325 degrees for 8 minutes. Check to see if the cookie are thoroughly baked.
- -Take the cookies off of the cookie sheet and put on a wire rack to cool completely. (About 10 minutes).
- 4 egg whites
- 2 C powder sugar
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- Black green, ivory,grey, yellow, and red gel food coloring
- -Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl mixing on medium speed for 4 minutes. (except your food coloring)
- -If icing is not stiff enough add 1/4 C powder sugar.
- - Divide the icing equally into two bowls.
- -The 1st bowl the icing remains white, the 2nd bowl add several drops of black gel food coloring. Mix well to blend the color.
- -Spoon each of the icings into individual frosting bags with a #5 tips.... twist the open end of the bag to push the icing to the tip.
- Skull Shaped Sugar cookies above
- Royal Icing above
- Candy eyes
- - Outline the skull in black. Allow the icing outline at least 30 seconds to dry before filling the body of the cookie.
- -Using the thinner white icing fill in the skull. Allow to dry slightly.
- -With a thin black line divide the skull in half.
- -On the top half of the skull, using the black gel food coloring bag make two thick quarter moons for eyes and one smaller quarter moon upside down for the nose.
- -Place a candy eye in the center of the right eye.
- -Under the thin black line on the lower half of the skull make a thick square totally in black.
- -Allow this square to dry for 30-60 seconds.
- -Using the white pastry bag add the teeth on top of the black square. Four teeth on the top and four teeth on the bottom. You can make these different sizes and different shapes.
- -Allow 5-10 hours to dry.