I thought about publishing this Golden Irish Cream & Banana Whoopie Pies Recipe, before St. Patricks, but it seemed a nice dessert to make with leftover Irish Cream, for service with tea or as an Easter or Mother’s Day Brunch idea.
The Irish Cream frosting has a little bit of a kick, so serving this with your Earl Grey is sort of the edible equivalent of a Mimosa…lol. I really enjoy the combo of the frosting with bananas, and a basic yellow butter cake seemed the perfect little package to deliver this fun combination in. If you are shy about baking from scratch, by all means use a box of yellow cake mix, and whip up some of this icing, I seriously doubt your guests will be any the wiser. Enjoy!
Golden Irish Cream & Banana Whoopie Pies
- 3/4 cup butter or coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
Bailey's Frosting (Filling)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cups confectionery sugar
- 1/4 cup Irish Cream liqueur
Bananas (approx. 3-4)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prep baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream butter, sugar & salt together, add remaining cake batter ingredients, and mix well.
- Pour approx 3 tbs-1/4 cup of batter on baking sheet for each whoopie pie top and bottom, make sure to leave some ample space between them.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes, until tops are just starting to show a little color and centers are no mushy.
- Remove to racks to cool. (It may take a couple rounds to bake off all the batter)
- Whisk together ingredients for frosting.
- Shortly before you are ready to serve*, slice bananas, the spread a generous amount of frosting on one pie side, and top with banana slices. Add top of pie & serve.**