This Mexican sausage and corn salad features plenty of fresh summer vegetables and is ready in just a few minutes! The Mild Mexican Style Chicken Sausage from our sponsor Al Fresco adds loads of flavor and makes this salad a meal.
I love spreading this summer corn and sausage salad out on a large platter to serve, but a large salad bowl would do the trick too.
Mexican Sausage and Corn Salad
This hearty dinner salad is perfect for both a special summer dinner or hectic weeknight family dinner. The already fully cooked chicken sausage is quickly pan fried with peppers with sweet corn. This lightly browns the sausage, yet allows the veggies to maintain a fresh texture.
The sausage and corn mixture is then served on a bed of greens with tomatoes, red onion, crumbled Cotija cheese and fresh lime juice. A simple, delicious and fast dinner!
Al Fresco Chicken Sausages
I've shared some recipes in the past that included Al Fresco chicken sausages, but the new product from them really caught my eye in the market this time. It looks more like a kielbasa type sausage product rather than their lines that are more Italian sausage like. I also like that these are mild. My daughter can't handle much heat.
I love that the links are individually sealed! It is just my daughter and I most of the time and I don't always want leftovers. This way I can make us tacos one night, then fry up some with eggs for breakfast a day or two later. I used both links in making this salad, since I wanted plenty of sausage to make this light meal satisfying.
This particular sausage is a new product. If your store doesn't have it yet, I suggest trying the Al Fresco fully cooked chicken dinner sausages in one of these varieties; Spicy Jalapeno, Smoked Andouille or Sweet & Smoky BBQ.
Al Fresco chicken sausages are a great addition to your weekly grocery staples. They are all natural, antibiotic-free, and so easy to work with. They stay fresh longer than raw chicken and are easier to cut and clean up after cooking. Since they are already cooked, you can even toss them into leftovers before reheating to make a new meal. These sausages are such a versatile ingredient, you will find yourself reaching for them again and again.
How to Make the Sausage and Corn Salad
Here is a simple walk through of making the recipe with pictures to guide you along. No worries, the salad may look a little fancy, but it really is easy to make. I've added a few tips on variations too. Full printable recipe card below.
First slice your sausage on a slight diagonal roughly a ½ inch thick.
Lightly brown in classic olive oil over med-high heat in a large skillet. It will take just a few minutes. If you opt to use a higher fat sausage such as Polish sausage (Kielbasa), skip the oil.
Cut the kernels off of two ears of fresh sweet corn right into the pan. Saute for a minute or two.
Tip: If you don't feel comfortable slicing off the corn or it is not in season, substitute 1 ½ cups of frozen thawed corn or drained canned corn.
Then add ½ a sweet pepper diced and some sea salt. Just sauté for about a minute, we want to keep the crispness of the pepper. I chose an orange pepper for it's color, but red or yellow sweet pepper would taste just as great.
Lay out a bed of greens on a large platter and sprinkle halved cherry or grape tomatoes around the edges. Slice up a lime or two, chop a little red onion and crumble up some Cojita cheese.
Tip: Cotija is a salty crumbly cheese, similar to Ricotta Salata or Feta (though less pungent than feta). Although the Cotija cheese is preferable feel free to sprinkle on some shredded cheddar cheese or one of the other two I've mentioned instead.
Scoop the sausage, corn and pepper saute over the greens and sprinkle the cheese and onion on top. Squeeze fresh lime over the salad and serve. Between the oil from the sauté and the lime juice, dressing needs are fully covered.
Tip: If you are making a smaller salad, reserve some of the sausage, pepper, and corn saute to add to a pasta or rice dish. It would surely make mac n' cheese extra tasty!
Try my other recipes featuring Chicken Sausages!
- Sausage and Pepper Soup
- Low Carb Chicken Sausage Risotto
- Italian Chicken Sausage Skillet with Rice
- Chicken Sausage Pesto Pasta with Artichoke and Tomato
- Andouille Sausage Pasta with White Beans and Delicata Squash
- Chicken Sausage Bacon Ranch Salad
Mexican Sausage and Corn Salad Recipe
- 1 package Al Fresco Mild Mexican Style Chicken Sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (classic NOT extra virgin)
- 1 ½ cups Sweet Corn approximately 2 ears of kernels sliced off cob
- ½ sweet peppers
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 cups salad greens
- ½ cup sliced grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon red onion diced
- 3 tablespoon Cotija cheese crumbled (or shredded/crumbed cheese of choice)
- 1 juice of one lime
- Slice the chicken sausages on slight diagonal into approximately ½' inch wide pieces.
- Place oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Once hot add the sausage and pan fry until lightly browned (about 5 minutes).
- Add corn, either cut right off 2 fresh ears right into pan or dump in kernels. Saute 1-2 minutes, then add diced sweet pepper and saute another minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Fill up a large platter with salad greens and scatter tomatoes around the edges.
- Scoop the sausage and corn mixture over the greens. Sprinkle the onions and cheese over the platter.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice over the salad to serve.