This easy Million Dollar Pie recipe is one that should absolutely be in everyone’s recipe box. The no bake icebox pie features a delicious creamy filling with shredded coconut, crushed pineapple, chopped pecans. The dreamy whipped topping mix is nestled in a graham cracker crust and a maraschino cherry on top of each slice!
What is Million Dollar Pie?
Million Dollar Pie is such a popular classic no bake recipe. It is also commonly known as Millionaire Pie and originated in the Southern part of the United States at Furr’s Cafeteria. The original version of Million Dollar Pie did not have cherries on top. They had another version with cherry pie filling in it, they called Billionaire pie.
The pie is particularly popular during the holiday season as well as for summer cook outs and potlucks. This is one of those pies you probably remember your grandmother or an aunt bringing to holiday dinner each year.
Million Dollar Pie can be made a few different ways. This is a condensed milk version (some use cream cheese). Frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed is traditionally used in either version.
The coconut crushed pineapple pie is also referred to as Hawaiian Million Dollar pie sometimes too… for obvious reasons. Mandarin orange slices are a popular addition to the top and and even canned peaches (Southern gals love their peaches!).
Some like to add nuts, such as pecans on top. Toasted coconut is also a favored topping.
No matter what you call it, the rich decadence of this easy to make dessert is sure to make you feel like a million bucks! Even with inflation that’s a nice tidy sum…lol.
How to Make the Million Dollar Pie
Let me show you how to make this delicious no bake dessert. It is a super easy recipe.
Print recipe is found below, which makes two pies.
The prep time for this recipe is just 10 minutes (or less). With chilling, total time is about 4 hours.
Ingredients you will need:
- 20 ounce can of crushed pineapple, drained (or pineapple tidbits)
- chopped pecans
- sweetened condensed milk (14 ounce can)
- sweetened shredded coconut
- lemon juice
- tub of non-dairy frozen whipped topping, such as Cool Whip
- 2 graham cracker crusts, standard ready-made (or make your own graham crust with crackers and butter chilled in pie plate)
- maraschino cherries
Large bowl and mixing spoon
This is one of the easiest pies you will ever prepare. Making this pie requires no cooking at all. Let’s start making it!
First mix up the filling ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Next, pour the mixture into a ready made graham cracker pie crust.
Garnish the top with cherries and pecan pieces, then freeze for a few hours until it is set.
That is all there is to it! Slice and serve.
Of course if you prefer making your own homemade graham cracker crust, be my guest.
Millionaire Pie – Lighter Version
If you want to lighten the creamy classic millionaire pie recipe up a little, that can be done in a few easy steps. First, swap out standard whipped topping for a lighter version. Next, instead of condensed sweetened milk and sweet coconut, use unsweetened and add a zero or reduced calorie sweetener to make up for the difference.
Can you freeze Million Dollar Pie?
Yes, the pie freezes well. It also serves nicely semi-frozen. Just do no refreeze after it has been thawed. Leave it in the freezer after initial chill.
While the red and white look of this pie is already a festive look for the holiday season. Before serving, add some green jarred cherries along with the red ones for a full on Christmas dessert. Try chopping some up and adding them to the filling too.
More Great No Bake Pie Recipes!
Here are a few more yummy and easy to make no bake pie recipes to try.
Million Dollar Pie Recipe
- 20 ounce Crushed Pineapple drained
- 1/2 cup pecans DIVIDED chopped, half goes in the filling the other half on top
- 14 ounce Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded Coconut DIVIDED 1/2 cup in filling, 1/4 cup on top
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 8 ounce Cool Whip type non-dairy frozen whipped topping thawed
- 2 Graham Cracker Pie Crusts ready made
- 16 Maraschino Cherries for garnish
- Mix drained pineapple tidbits, 1/4 cup of the pecans, 1/2 cup of the coconut flakes, sweetened condensed milk, and lemon juice together in a large bowl.
- Then fold in the whipped topping.
- Pour pie filling mixture into the graham cracker crust evenly and sprinkle the remaining shredded coconut and pecans over the pie.
- Arrange cherries on top, then freeze for a minimum of 4 hours before serving.