An easy Pumpkin Seed Brittle recipe, the perfect homemade fall candy. Don't let those pumpkin seeds go to waste!
Pumpkin Seed Brittle (Pepita Brittle) is an easy to make fun fall candy recipe. Of course, being made with the seasonal pumpkin seed, this recipe is quite festive for this time of year, but there are other reasons to make up a batch of this homemade fall candy over similar sweets. The candy is safe for many with nut or peanut allergies, since many with these intolerances can eat pumpkin seeds. It is also gluten free, and while still a candy to be eaten in moderation, at least has the protein and nutrients provided by the pumpkin seeds.
The Pumpkin Brittle will be hard, but not the tooth shattering hardness of many store bought brittles. It is heavy on the seeds, and has a bit more flavoring to the hard candy as well.
My exceedingly fussy daughter, thought this candy was the bomb. She ended out eating all the brittle she could get her little mitts on last weekend.
More Fall Recipes
- Pumpkin Cheese Ball
- Butternut Squash Bread
- Pumpkin Spice Martini
- White Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Popcorn Party Mix
Pumpkin Seed Brittle Recipe
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds shelled
- 2 tbs butter salted
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Toast pumpkin seeds in unoiled skillet over medium high heat until edges are browned just a little. Set aside the roasted seeds.
- Melt the butter over medium high heat in skillet, add sugars, corn syrup, vanilla and baking soda. Once sugar is dissolved, continue cooking the candy for 12-15 minutes, while stirring frequently. (Should be able to form a ball if a little is added to cold water)
- Add the pumpkin seeds. stir until well distributed Cook about 10 more minutes. Candy will be semi-firm, but still malleable.
- Spread the brittle out onto a greased cookies sheet. If brittle it too thick to spread out, use a greased rolling pin. Sprinkle a pinch of Kosher salt over the hot brittle
- Cool then break into pieces to serve.