Pumpkin Spice Dalgona coffee (whipped coffee) that will step up your pumpkin spice game. This whipped coffee will make those trips to the coffee shop for a Pumpkin Spice latte obsolete!
Enjoy this dalgona with caramel or without. Hot or iced, so good!
New Pumpkin Spice Coffee Treat!
This Pumpkin Spice version of Dalgona Coffee puts an all-American twist on the whipped coffee craze.
What is Dalgona Coffee?
In case this fun coffee drink looks good to you, but you have no clue what a dalgona coffee is, no worries, I've got you.
Dalgona coffee is a whipped coffee drink popularized by Korean You Tube and Tik Tok personalities. They felt it tasted similar to the Korean honeycomb toffee candy called dalgona, hence the name.
It is sort of like a reverse cappuccino. Rather than steaming the milk to a stiff froth and pouring over espresso, the coffee part is the topping. Instant coffee or espresso granules are whisked with sugar and water (and in this case pumpkin spice seasoning). Intense whisking creates a thick silky textured coffee that is dolloped over the milk.
Dalgona Coffee Origin
The actual origin of the drink itself though id highly disputed. Examples of instant coffee whipped beverages like this are in various parts of the world. In India it is called Phenti Hui Coffee and has been popular for many years.
Look at that luscious silky whipped coffee! So worth the effort to enjoy this special pumpkin spice coffee treat.
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Whipped Coffee
Making a dalgona coffee is simple, just a bit time consuming compared to a standard coffee drink.
The whipped coffee is best done by hand with a whisk and takes about 400 strokes to get a good whip.
Pumpkin Spice Dalgona Ingredients
Here is what you will need:
- instant coffee or instant espresso
- pumpkin pie spice
- whole milk
- caramel ***optional
- ice (if you want to make the iced version)
The biggest part of making a dalgona whipped coffee is the actual whipping.
Here is a progression of what happens when you combine the instant coffee, sugar, water and pumpkin spice in a mixing bowl and it is beaten. As you can see the results are far different from what you start with.
It will take you a solid 2-3 minutes of whisking to get to the 400 or so strokes it takes to get this level of whip. Yes, your arm will get tired. Don't plan on making these for a crowd...lol.
This is the whipped coffee topping you will dollop over the milk.
Here is a visual of the process of assembling an iced pumpkin spiced dalgona coffee.
- Caramel can be added at the bottom or if you are using a thinner syrup drizzled over the top at the end. (either is optional)
- Add ice (obviously skip if you want a hot drink)
- Pour in cold milk (or hot if making hot version)
- Dollop the whipped coffee mixture over the hot or iced milk.
- Sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice and serve.
Stir to drink. Enjoy!
Vegan Pumpkin Spice Whipped Coffee
The only change you will need to make to this recipe to make a vegan dalgona coffee is swapping a rich plant based milk for the whole milk used in the recipe. Don't use a thin one. It would ruin the point of working so hard to whip up a great texture.
More Pumpkin Spice!
Since this is more of a single serving Pumpkin Spice coffee drink and not well suited to making in quality, here are a few recipes suited to a crowd.
- Pumpkin Pie White Hot Chocolate is a great choice for the kids and those who prefer chocolate over coffee. This is a crock pot recipe, so you can have this ready and just make a few whipped coffees.
- For those in the mood for something with a boozy kick, make them a Pumpkin Pie Martini.
- White Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Popcorn Party Mix or Pumpkin Biscotti are yummy treats to serve with the dalgona coffee or other pumpkin drinks above.
Pumpkin Spice Dalgona Coffee
- deep bowl or jar for whipping coffee
- 1 tablespoon Instant Coffee or instant espresso
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice
- 1 cup whole milk approximate, depending on glass size
- 2 tablespoons caramel ***Optional
- Ice ***optional
- Put the instant coffee, cold water, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice together in a deep bowl.
- With whisk, beat the mixture until it is thick enough to form firm peaks. approximately 2 minutes with hand mixing
- If you are adding caramel and/or ice: Pour caramel into bottom of drinking glass, then fill with ice.
- Fill glass with milk, leaving approximately a half-an-inch space at the top of the glass. (Hot milk for the hot drink version)
- Scoop on the whipped coffee mixture.
- Sprinkle pumpkin pie spice on top to serve.
- Stir to drink.