Roasted Carrot Hummus is a healthy nutrient rich dip or sandwich spread with fantastic flavor. The recipe is quite easy to make too.
Roasted Carrot Hummus
I've been a bit hooked on roasted carrots lately & never make any secret of my love of legumes, so combining the two is a marriage made in heaven in my book. Since I had 2 cans of chick peas on hand and a few carrots in the back of the veggie bin, a roasted carrot hummus recipe was soon in the works.
As a starting point, I used a traditional hummus recipe from Cooking Light rather than how I usually make my hummus (since I tend to go a bit heavy on the lemon). I did need to make more alterations beyond adding the carrots, to reach to right hummus consistency while keeping the flavors in-line. Most of these were related to needing more liquid to compensate for the roasted carrots.
The recipe made a nice big batch of carrot hummus. Roasting the carrots both brought out the sweetness in them and softened them for blending. The fresh garlic was also roasted, so it wouldn't be as sharp in flavor. I enjoyed the hummus as is, and added Vietnamese Chili-Garlic sauce to some of it for a bit of kick. Now that I really liked... hot-savory-sweet hummus.... yum!
Roasted Carrot Hummus Recipe
- ½ pound carrots
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup + ½ teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon + ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 15-16 oz cans chick peas (garbanzo beans)
- ¼ cup Sesame Tahini
- ⅔ cup water
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel carrots. chop off ends and slice on the diagonal into approx 1 inch thick pieces. Peel garlic cloves.
- Mix the carrots & garlic in ½ teaspoon oil and ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt. Lay out on shallow oven safe pan or baking sheet. Roast for 12 minutes, mix them up, and return to oven to roast 8 more minutes. Then set aside to cool.
- Add the roasted carrots and garlic to food processor, along with all the remaining ingredients. Pulse until smooth (you may need to stop & stir it with a spoon or spatula a couple times to get all of the hummus smooth).
More Vegetarian Recipes featuring Roasted Carrots
Smokey Roasted Carrot, Avocado & Black Bean Salad Recipe
Roasted Root Vegetables with Garlic-Cornmeal Coating
Oh my yum! That looks awesomely delicious!
I've never tried carrot flavored hummus, but this looks and sounds awesome. Thanks!
I would love this with some nice and crunchy pita chips!
Oh my. I love carrots and I love hummus so this would be a great combo for me
April Decheine says
Never thought of using carrots, how darn creative. I love making homemade hummus!
Kathleen Bunn says
I am not a fan of hummus generally, but I really think I would like this since it is made with carrots!
I honestly had no clue what Hummus is, have never tried it. I am not sure carrots would be a good first try for me though.
Crystal @ Simply Being Mommy.com says
I absolutely love hummus but I've never tried roasted carrot hummus before. Thanks for sharing.
This looks delicious, I love humus on pita bread.
this hummus is amazing! did it yesterday for my friends and they all loved it and asked for the recipe 🙂 LOVE roasted galic, it's my favourite! <3
Robin Gagnon says
Great to hear... now I want another batch.