This Roasted Vegetable Quinoa Recipe is super easy thanks to the use of frozen vegetables. No prep work, just dump them out.
The roasted vegetables with quinoa make a fabulous gluten-free side dish or light vegetarian meal. vegetable quinoa. It is sort of like quinoa fried rice, but without the frying part.
Easy Roasted Vegetables with Quinoa
I am a big fan of roasted vegetables, but don't make them as often as I like, especially when in a hurry, because of prep time. Perhaps, it may have occurred to some of you already, but I had never tried roasting frozen vegetables before. The veggies were already prepped, and the freezing process locks in nutrients, so if it worked, I would have a very handy little trick. My freezer is always pretty packed with frozen fruits and vegetables.
Of course quinoa is a great addition to your dietary plan as well. When cooked, quinoa provides a complete protein with all 9 essential amino acids, making it an excellent plant-based protein source.
This dish also has plenty of delicious roasted vegetables to keep you feeling full and satisfied while providing a good dose of fiber and vitamin C.
How to Make Vegetarian Quinoa with Roasted Veggies
Since I love the combination of quinoa and roasted vegetables, and had a mixed bag of Broccoli, Cauliflower & Carrots conveniently in my freezer already, I decided an easy Roasted Vegetable Quinoa recipe would be lunch this day.
Here are pics of the frozen vegetables, before and after roasting at high heat. Roasting vegetables while the quinoa was cooking worked out great. The quinoa was just about ready for them to be added when they came out of the oven. This makes for a nice quick vegetarian meal. It has 3 of my most favorite vegetables to roast in it, and can be on the table in less than a half hour. roasting vegetables
The recipe yielded two hearty meal sized bowls of Roasted Vegetable Quinoa. I would say it would be good for about 4 sides, counting for both vegetable & starch.
- If you want to serve this as a quinoa salad, simply allow to cool to room temperature and toss with chopped fresh herbs, lemon juice, olive oil and a little Kosher salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add a couple cloves of garlic or a sliced red onion to the sheet pan when roasting the vegetables, they are great in the quinoa.
More Easy Quinoa Recipes
- Ratatouille Soup with Quinoa
- Poblano-Lime Quinoa Recipe
- Black Bean Quinoa Soup
- Cheesy Gluten Free Stuffed Mushrooms with Quinoa and Zucchini
- Pizza Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Easy Roasted Vegetables with Quinoa Recipe
- 1 bag of frozen California blend broccoli, cauliflower & carrots
- 1 tbs olive oil 2 teaspoon for vegetables, 1 teaspoon for quinoa
- 1 cup golden quinoa dry
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken if you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Empty the bag of frozen vegetables into a large mixing bowl. Use a piece of paper towel to wipe out any significant frost (don't be too fussy about this). Add 2 teaspoon of olive oil and toss.
- Spread out on a baking sheet and roast for 9-10 minutes, mix the vegetables around and return to oven after about 6 more minutes, retoss then roast a few more minutes (total roasting time about 20 minutes). (Feel free to line the baking pan with parchment paper for easy clean up if you like.)
- While the vegetables are roasting, place a small skillet over med-high heat, add 1 teaspoon olive oil, quinoa and garlic, stir regularly until quinoa is toasted, but garlic is not burnt.
- Add stock, reduce heat to med-low, cover and simmer to cook the quinoa, until liquid is absorbed (about 20 minutes).
- Add the roasted vegetables to the skillet and drizzle sesame oil over them. Gently toss until evenly mixed.
- Serve with your choice of condiments. (My faves are either a a combination of sriracha, lime and soy sauce or just a generous sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.)