This easy turkey vegetable soup recipe is both satisfying and low calorie making it a perfect choice year round.
Ground Turkey Vegetable Soup
A nice pot of low calorie Turkey Vegetable Soup is a hearty way to keep the calories down. The soup is a budget friendly choice too
While I've made the recipe with ground turkey, you could do it with chopped leftover cooked turkey breast, as well. Just skip the saute step. The broth of this turkey vegetable soup is richly flavored with the addition of crushed tomato.
Spicy or Not
Now if you are not a hot and spicy lover, don't worry. The hot sauce in this recipe adds a subtle kick it is not particularly hot at all. I just accented the flavor of the soup with it, since more can be splashed in at serving time. Skip it entirely if you prefer.
Try serving this soup with Cajun Chicken Open Faced Sandwich Appetizers or a Chicken Pasta Salad.
Turkey Vegetable Soup
- Dutch oven or large pot
- ½ tbs olive oil
- ½ sweet onion large, diced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey or chopped leftover turkey
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 2 tbs Hot Sauce
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 14-15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 oz bag of frozen mixed vegetables I used mix with Broccoli, corn, carrots, cauliflower & red pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
- Place a Dutch oven or large sauce pan over med-high heat. Add oil. Once hot toss in the diced onions, ground turkey and oregano. Break up and stir until cooked through.
- Add the stock, hot sauce, vinegar, both cans of tomatoes and bay leaves. Stir.
- Once the pot starts to bubble, reduce to med-low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the frozen vegetables and simmer another 10 minutes
- Serve with a splash more of Texas Pete Original Hot Sauce or grated Parmesan cheese.
I'm not into spicy food much as I used to be, but this sounds really good. It looks amazing, too!
I love little spice in my meals, and Texas Pete's sounds like the right way to get it. I'm so ready to start making soup and other yummy cold-weather food. Your turkey & veggie tomato soup looks incredible!
Tiff @ Babes and Kids says
I love comfort foods but don't love all of the calories that they come with. This is a nice alternative. I don't think the kids would eat it with the hot sauce but hubby and I would be all over it!
Nina Say says
I am so excited for fall to get here for meals like this one. I love soups and stews but cannot handle eating them in the summer.
This looks almost like Chili, and I want to try it!
Jennifer @ Mom Spotted says
Mmmmmmm! I love soup! My oldest loves anything hot so we'll have to try this!
Sarah @ Must Have Mom says
Mmm, this looks hearty. I've had Texas Pete's before and loved it. I'd probably spice it up ALOT after it's done.
I've seen this in the stores, now I want to get some and try it out! Thanks!
Kimberly Grabinski says
My son loves hot sauce, I bet he would LOVE this soup!
That looks so yummy, perfect for fall.
Jesica H says
I really like how this looks and sounds, gonna try it out I think. 🙂
Liz Mays says
My boyfriend adds that to just about everything. Great flavor and great heat.