This Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe is light and moist, but differs considerably from the batter I often use making Chocolate Chip Banana Bread. The muffins are cooked at a little higher temperature, and being smaller cook much quicker, so there is less chance of edges drying out, so that is less of a concern. I also don’t always have buttermilk on-hand.
I think you can tell from the image above this is a moist muffin. My goal was a healthier muffin than typical store bought, as these were made for my daughter. Most of the ingredients I used happen to be organic, and I selected sucanat over typical cane sugar, since it is a bit less processed and I prefer the flavor. Turbinado or standard cane sugar can of course be used instead.
The recipe makes exactly six standard sized Banana Chocolate Chip muffins (not those coffee shop monstrosities).
Easy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe. Great for quick breakfast.
- 1 banana medium ripe
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sucanat or pure cane sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt or Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup milk or plant-based milk substitute
- 2 tbs oil or melted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder preferably aluminum-free
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mash the banana then beat with egg and vanilla.
- Add the sucanat/sugar, salt,milk, and oil. Beat well.
- Mix together the flour, cinnamon and baking powder in a small bowl, then add to wet mixture and stir well.
- Once evenly blended, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Put six liners in a muffin tin and fill them with batter.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until centers of tops seem cooked.
- Cool before serving.