This easy summer squash bulgur recipe is a great no fuss way to use up an abundance of zucchini or other summer squash. Bulgur cooks quickly, has plenty of fiber and is pretty close to fool proof.
I make bulgur like this all the time in the summer. It's a perfect side for grilled meats, kielbasa, goes well with most sauces and the leftovers go great in eggs at breakfast time, a healthier morning carb option than home fries and toast.
- 1 tbs butter
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 small yellow summer squash sliced
- 1 small zucchini squash sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup dry wheat bulgur
- 2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Melt the butter in pan over medium heat, then add the onion, squash, and garlic.
- Saute the vegetables for 5-6 minutes, then add bulgur, stock and bay leaf.
- Cover, and reduce heat to low-med. Cook for approximately 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed and bulgur is nice and fluffy.