I made these Yogurt and Lemon Donuts with Lemon Icing for my daughter this week. She adores donuts and these sweet tangy lemon donuts went over very well with her.
While I have no delusions that these lemon donuts are anything other than a dessert, I am happier to be seeing her eating scratch baked donuts made with Greek yogurt and fresh lemon over store bought.
I also found that the yogurt added a nice moistness to the lemon donuts and due to the nice rise the yogurt and lemon pulled from the baking soda the batter had good lift, creating a nice tender donut too.
For another lemony sweet breakfast option, try my Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins Recipe
She really seems to dig the lemon icing on these donuts. It does have so much more flavor than plain old vanilla and is so easy to make.
Of course, since kids love sprinkles (and I am a messy baker) I topped these iced lemon donuts off with a nice dose of rainbow sprinkles over the lemon icing. I do think they got her extra excited about the homemade donuts....lol
I only recently got new donut pans, so I'm sure you will be seeing more donut recipes here in the coming months. That will certainly make my daughter a happy camper.
More Homemade Donuts
If you enjoy this recipe be sure to try out a couple more of my doughnut recipes.
- Baked Strawberry Donuts with Strawberry Cream Cheese Glaze
- Yeast Raised Glazed Donut Recipe
- Easy Apple Cider Donuts
- Cranberry Orange Donuts with Orange Ginger Glaze
- Baked Maple Donuts
Yogurt Lemon Donuts Recipe
- 2 tbs butter melted
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbs lemon zest
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- ***optional*** sprinkles to top donuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil donut pans (I used two 6-cavity pans)
- Cream the melted butter and sugar together, Add Greek yogurt, vanilla, sea salt, egg and white, and lemon zest. Mix well.
- In another bowl, mix the baking powder and baking soda into the flour, then add to wet mix and stir well.
- Carefully dollop and spread out batter into the donut shaped cavities of pan. These puff up a lot, so do try and distribute between all 12 cavities, 11 will do if need be but no less. I did not pipe the batter, but it would make the process easier.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes.
- Cool on rack. Once fully cool, mix together the simple lemon icing and spread on each donut. If you want to use sprinkles add them as you go along so they will adhere well.
- Allow the donuts a few minutes for glaze to set before serving.
Marisa Franca says
I would certainly like to have one of those delicious donuts with my coffee right now. Sometimes cake donuts look on the dry side but yours certainly don't. Very yummy!!
These are so pretty and I LOVE that they're a healthier take on a donut! Of course, spring/summer have me in the mood for lemon everything!
These turned out beautifully. The plate was emptied very quickly with a few neighbours trying them out. I added more lemon so the top looked more like a glaze and my Greek yogurt was plain but I just increased the vanilla to 2 tsp. It all worked out well.