Homemade fried rice is actually pretty simple to make and this easy fried rice recipe makes it a breeze!
Homemade Fried Rice
Homemade fried rice is the perfect way to ensure you get the veggies and seasonings you prefer, and is the best way to go, if you have family members with severe food allergies. I don’t have any major allergies myself, but do get a headache after eating take-out on occasion, so homemade food is a strong preference of mine. Making your own simple fried rice is also a great money saver, since you can use up leftover white rice. Even if you don’t have leftovers it is still an inexpensive dish to make. This recipe is really budget friendly, and I’m going to show you how to make your own.
Easy Fried Rice Recipe: Making
Here is a quick visual walk through of making this easy fried rice. Full recipe below.
This is a basic template for making your own fried rice at home. You can swap out brown rice, quinoa or bulgur. I usually add bean sprouts rather than peas, but that is mostly due to a “pea hater” in the house.
Homemade Fried Rice: Easy Fried Rice Recipe
- 3 ½ - 4 cups left over white rice If you don’t have left over rice, cook per package directions, then spread on a cookie sheet cover loosely a few hours prior to making recipe
- ½ cup onion finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup frozen peas and carrots
- 2-3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 3-4 tablespoon of vegetable oil older rice needs more oil
- In a bowl whisk together eggs, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, pepper, white pepper and garlic (if using fresh garlic add with onion in next step). Set aside
- In a wok or pan heat vegetable oil over medium high until shimmery
- Add onion let cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add rice, stirring occasionally so onions do not burn
- When onions start to brown, reduce heat to med low
- Make a well in the middle of the rice, add egg mixture
- Scramble the eggs in the well until about half way set,then mix with the rest of the rice
- Add peas and carrots until warmed through
- Taste and add additional ponzu/soy sauce and pepper to taste
- Serve warm