What could be creepier than Spider Cupcakes this Halloween! These easy Halloween cupcakes feature edible spider toppers that everyone will love!
Halloween Spider Cupcakes
Weave a web of fright with these cute Halloween Cupcakes this year. The spiders are easily crafted from fondant and require no special skills to make. These arachnids are creepy, but still charming enough for kids. If you have some mighty scared y pants, you could always add a friendly smile to yours.
Bring them to the Halloween Party
These cupcakes also travel nicely. Since the fondant spiders protrude above the cupcakes plastic wrap placed over them is less likely to mar the frosting beneath. So, bring these sweet creepy crawlers with you!
How to Make Spider Cupcake Toppers
The little spiders are easy to make. I’ll walk you through the process with pictures. Printable recipe card below.
First you need to bake and cool completely a dozen chocolate cupcakes. Feel free to use box cake mix. If you want to scratch bake, grab my chocolate cupcake recipe from the Friday the 13th cupcakes.
Cool the cupcakes on a wire rack until they reach room temperature before decorating.
To make the edible spider toppers for the cupcakes, you will start with black fondant. Roll out twelve 1″ balls and an equal number of half inch balls.
Poke a toothpick though the smaller ball into the larger one to stick them together. Snip off end and tuck a little further in, then smudge hole to hide. Gently roll the end of the larger ball in your fingers to create the elongated shape of the spider’s body.
Frost your cupcakes. I think the orange frosting is perfect, but green, white or purple would also look great,
Stick a spider head and body on each. Make two eyes on each with the green decorating icing. Larger nonpareils could be used for eyes also, if you happen to have the right color on hand.
Now grab the tube of black frosting and pipe 4 lines on each side to make the spider legs.
That completes your spider cupcakes.
More Halloween Cupcakes
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $8.98Was: $10.99
- Price: $4.19
- Price: $12.35Was: $15.00
Halloween Spider Cupcakes featuring easy to make edible spider toppers!
- Chocolate cake mix + all ingredients to make it 12 cupcakes will use about 1/2 the batter
- 5-6 oz. black fondant
- 12 toothpicks
- 1 cup softened Butter , 2 sticks
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp red gel food coloring
- ½ tsp yellow gel food coloring
- Green decorating frosting
- Black decorating frosting
- To begin, prepare cupcakes using chocolate cake mix. Most cake mixes yield 24 cupcakes, so you can half the ingredients since the decorations in this recipe is enough for one dozen.
- As the cupcakes bake, prepare the fondant spider body: roll out 12 1-inch black fondant spheres and set aside.
- Next, roll out ½ inch black fondant spheres.
- On one toothpick, insert one 1-inch sphere, followed by the smaller sphere.
- Gently squeeze the end of the larger sphere, giving it a rounded-cone shape.
- Repeat for all spheres/toothpicks.
- Trim the toothpick so that it is no longer visible.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together softened butter, sugar and milk until smooth. Start electric mixer’s speed on low and gradually increase to high.
- Add red and yellow gel food coloring into buttercream mixture and beat until completely tinted.
- Scoop orange buttercream into a piping bag with Wilton tip #12 attached. Frost each cupcake.
- Place on fondant spider body on each frosted cupcake.
- Using Wilton tip #3 , frost two eyes on each head (smaller fondant spherwith the green decorating frosting.
- Using Wilton tip #5 , frost out 4 legs on each side of each spider with the black decorating frosting. Serve and enjoy!
Decorating the cupcakes will only take 10-15 minutes. The rest of the time is making and cooling cupcakes.