This Keto Salmon recipe was created on the fly. It was actually my lunch today. I prepared it all in one pan, using flavors from cooking the vegetables to season the oil which the wild Coho salmon was pan fried in. I tend to make lunch my heartiest meal of the day. For many this would be more suitable for dinner.
Keto Salmon Dinner
One of the things I tried to keep in mind when making this keto dinner, beyond flavor and of course carb counts, was alkalinity. No this dish is not a perfect example of an alkaline diet plate, but I was mindful of making choices which would balance out overall to not contribute to acidity. The meal is also an outstanding source of potassium and Vitamin A.
Alkaline Keto Salmon – Ingredient Choices
This is the reasoning behind my choices in this Keto salmon dinner and how it should maintain alkaline balance as well.
Although animal products are considered acidic in general, some are less so than others. Wild salmon is considered to be one of the best seafood choices for those concerned with body acidity and a much better choice than red meat. Farm-raised is not equivalent, and often high in toxins.
Dandelion greens, summer squash and Fresno peppers (mildly hot peppers similar to Jalapeno) low carb and high alkaline vegetables. They help balance out the ingredients that are more acidic and pack a lot of flavor and nutrients. Broccoli Rabe with be a great swap for the dandelion and is very low carb.
Greek Yogurt Dressing
The dressing I chose was bottled, Whole Foods brand. It has just 2 grams of carbohydrates per serving and they were definitely worth it. The yogurt is balanced out by a generous splash of lemon juice over the plate prior to dolloping on the dressing.
Want to make your own topping? Check out my keto yum yum sauce. It would go great with this dinner.
Why Alkaline Keto?
A state of acidity is generally not considered good for our well being and can lead to a host of health issues… some deadly. Many are prone to eating more meat and dairy than the Keto diet actually recommends. It is supposed to be a high fat diet that features lots of veggies. By marrying Alkaline dietary guidelines to a Keto diet we ensure a healthier weight loss and lower likelihood of developing the dreaded “Keto flu”. A well designed Keto diet meal plan should require very few changes to ensure it doesn’t elevate acidity.
Keto Salmon Sides
A few other side dish options for salmon:
- Spanish Cauliflower Rice
- Broccoli Rabe – Perfect Keto Side Dish
- Sauteed Asparagus and Mushrooms
- Frozen Cauliflower Rice Pilaf
Keto Salmon Recipe
- 8 oz wild salmon , cut in two fillets
- 1/2 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 2 cups dandelion greens , chopped
- 2 cups summer squash (yellow or zucchini) , sliced
- 1 red Fresno pepper , or other spicy small pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt free seasoning (Mrs. Dash or equivalent)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt dressing (I used Whole Foods brand, 2 grams of carbs)
- Pour oil skillet over med-high heat. Toss in dandelion greens and pepper. Saute with about half the seasoning and salt, until well wilted, then push to side of skillet and cook the summer squash with remaining salt and seasoning. Once done remove all the vegetables to plates.
- Place the salmon fillets skin side up in the hot skillet. Once nicely seared, flip over and place cover on skillet. Cook for about 6-7 minutes until salmon is mostly cooked but still a little soft in the middle, so it won't dry out.
- Unless you like the skin, slip a spatula between flesh and skin (it should easily release), and place each salmon fillet on the plates with vegetables. Generously splash each dish with lemon juice, then pour a the Greek yogurt dressing ovet the salmon and serve.